List your Whiting / Snapper Combo

I brought a red Gomuku rod a couple of months ago matched with a 2500 Stradic, it was going to be just for jigging for snapper but has become my all round boat rod for snapper,whiting etc bait or lures. They are very light and i have spent 8hrs on the boat jigging the whole time and no sore arm!

Although I don't get out on boats very often for snapper, my combo is a Daiwa Aird 4000 with 15lb braid matched to a Daiwa Laguna 701MHFS 8-17lb. This combo is realtively cheap plus I swap the reel over on other rods like my beach rod for salmon.

For whiting I use my 1-3kg Samaki Zing and a Stradic 1000FJ with 5lb braid as this is my combo used for all of my light tackle fishing.

I use my combo for everything and absolutely love it. I want to buy the same rod but very hard to find now.

G-Loomis Bronzback GLX matched with 4000 Ci4 Stradic, 10lb fins braid.

My other rod that (i was thinking of selling) is a Shimano T-Curve Lucanis Jig Spin Light matched with a 2500 daiwa tierra, 12lb mono. Its not a 'fish specific' combo as such but I have used it and caught snapper to 6kg, squid, whiting, gar on it with ease.

I just love the Loomis rod and would buy another in a heart beat for the right price...

+1 for the red Gomuko rods for all but the biggest snapper in shallow water. I have the spin model matched with a daiwa 3000 reel and run 20lb Tufline. I see these rods have dropped in price recently and they are crazy fun and way stronger than they look.

My other "go to" rod and reel is a Nitro Magnum Butt spin rod matched to a 2500 daiwa reel, overkill for KG's but great general purpose rod reel combo for most of what I like to chase. I run 15lb braid through this rig and find it better for soft plastics for snapper etc as its a tad longer at 7'6" and less parabolic.

Hi Everyone

I am looking to purchase a new whiting / snapper combo. I am thinking of purchasing 7ft Silstar Crystal Pro Rod with either the Daiwa Blast or TD SOL II with 20lb.

It would be great to hear what combo's people have set up? 

Shimano mexican fire raider II - Snapper 762 2pce

15-45g 2.29m 5-8kg

http://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/rods/raider-ii-mexican-fire-3107615.html

Shimano Symetre 4000

Sy4000fl 7kg 5.8-1 4kg/219m

http://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/reels/shimano-symetre-fl-3103523.html

Spooled with 20lb fireline using a 25lb black magic fluorocarbon leader

I am now thinking one of the following combos:

1)

Red Okuma Salinda II Rod

Shimano Aernos 4000FA (12lb or 15lb line)

2)

Silstar Cystal Pro Rod 6ft Medium (6 - 10kg)

Daiwa Aird  4000SH (12 or 15lb line)

Feedback?

I know someone who had one of those Okuma rods and it broke so easily so I'd say stay away from that.

Silstar would do you good.      

Silstar rods are brilliant for the price!

Use crystal blue series for snapper, along with my terez, good piece of kit!

They have good looking 2-4kg rods too, mates have had them for years and they never seem to have any issues whatsoever, seen them catch coorong mullies on them no worries, also rugger snapper to 55cm

Never used the lighter models myself though