Alan Hawke Review on the New Saltiga Expedition

Hi Guys

This will probably be of interest to a few of you, Alan Hawke has basically rated the new Saltiga Expedition Reels as the best reels currently on the market as well as possibly the best spinning reels ever made, with his score for the new Saltiga surpassing the 08 Stella.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/exp14.html

Cheers

You could get 10 Fin Nor Lethals for the price of a Saltiga though. It only got 17 points less. 80/100.

YES INDEED !!

Even if you just bought the one Fin Nor Lethal, and you still would have over $1300 in your back pocket !!!

But then you have those who swear black and blue, that a brand name means everything......  ;)

I thought it interesting that Allan Hawk alluded to the possibility that Shimano, as a marketing exercise, deliberately downgraded the 2013 stella whilst upgrading the price so that when they bring out the next substantially improved model lots of people will by it for all the improvements over the previous model.

I thought it was really strange that the 2013 model stella was such a downgrade in quality over its predessor the 2008 model.

As for the new Expedition its no surprise that daiwa made significant improvements over the new 2010 model saltiga.

Like cars, i think its wise to not buy a new model of reel until its been thoroughly tested in the market and has had all the faults fixed.

I like my Daiwa reels but at the end of the day the newer models will all require new magseal oil at some stage especially after heavy use.Have also heard it is a major job just taking a new one apart. Apparently the side plates screws are a special type and require a special holding jig as the screws are really tight and not designed for guys like us to service them.I haven't tried as I have a new model 5000 but a certified reel repair guy has told me about this.Just another way to get more money off us unfortunately by the sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I like my Daiwa reels but at the end of the day the newer models will all require new magseal oil at some stage especially after heavy use.

I have the 2010 Dogfight. I have had it repaired by Daiwa under warranty due to the magseal issue which apparantly doesn't exist in Australia

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/stats.html

Hopefully will now get many, many years of use out of it.

The problem with these high end reels is that it is hard to go back and use cheaper stuff. I have a Shimano Spheros in the same size and it just feels horrible to wind, is clunky, the spool has play in it etc etc. And yet it does perform as advertised. There really is nothing wrong with it. I also have a 2500 Shimana Stradic. The Same size Okuma Salina 2 feels horrible in comparison to the stradic.

It is nice to have expensive gear (wife bought the Dogfight for me - 10 year wedding anniversary) but most of the time I can live without it. Exception is at Ningaloo where I have one reel + rod that I can cast at Tuna at GTs with poppers, troll for Marlin and do some bottom bashing for big reefies in deep water. That is where it shines. There would undoubtely be a cheaper reel that could do it but I don't have to sweat finding it. And it is pretty to look at. And it is heavy enough to double as a replacement boat anchor in an emergency.

• 1 year later...

Seems like the current new model Expedition has it's 97 out of a 100 rating on hold. Apparently there is a corrosion issue with bearings and the magseal oil ends up getting impregnated with particles. I hope daiwa recall this to fix as I haven't even bloody used mine yet. Anyone else got one? Hoping Daiwa sort this one out on such a high end reel!!!!!

I just recently purchased the 5500 expedition.

Haven't used it yet but will on the weekend.

I can't find anything on this corrosion issue on the web except for on Alan's website. Be interesting to see what comes out of it, how the reel was used etc etc. but you wouldn't expect those washers to be made out of mild steel. Thats a lot of corrosion.

Nothing to see here, move along please

Update on the Saltiga's rusty washer: over the past 4 days I received a significant amount of information and feedback from owners of these reels who examined the suspected area, and after talking to a few contacts in Japan I could conclude with a high degree of certainty that the issue is limited to a small number of reels and that it was addressed and rectified. If you happen to have a reel that shows the symptoms contact your Daiwa's service centre and they will take care of it.

I still rekon my Z6000 is the best haha. 

But check this out.. You're either with Magseal or Stella's seals, it doesn't really matter now.

Check out Reelspa's facebook page. You will see so many magsealed reels not doing what its suppose to do and many Stellas not keeping water out like advertised. Rinsing the reel thoroughly it seems is key.

I still rekon my Z6000 is the best haha. 

But check this out.. You're either with Magseal or Stella's seals, it doesn't really matter now.

Check out Reelspa's facebook page. You will see so many magsealed reels not doing what its suppose to do and many Stellas not keeping water out like advertised. Rinsing the reel thoroughly it seems is key.

Just had a look. I found saltigas that had corroded on the outside due to neglect but couldn't find ave in salt where the magseal bearings had failed. I might have missed it.

Magseal or not reels need to be looked after. They are bits of metal that live in salt and water. I treat my reels pretty badly but even my older cheap reels that sit in rod holders day in day out getting covered with spray have never looked as bad as some of those saltigas on the facebook page. Well, except a little okuma epix I had, that died a horrible death.