so I wouldn't say I'm a mad fisho like some of you but I do love my fishing and I give it a fair crack, I keep an eye out with topics throughout this forum for tips etc. I've been fishing atleast once a week for a month or so, doing all the right things with tides and burley at times and baits and lures- sp's and hard bodies. but yet no fish. I've been out at st kilda on the rocks as well as behind the shop there and outer harbour in a few different spots, all i ever get is 6 inch long kgw's and that's about it really, any extra advice? tips or spots? just gettin little frustrated

I wouldn't say im a pro fisho and i certainly don't bag out, but I always come home with a feed so i'll try to help. 

I generally decide upon a specific fish that im trying to target and do all of my research well in advance of the actual fishing trip. Once i've chosen my target, I look into what they prefer to bite on, the best possible rigs, and where they are. If possible I try a couple of days in advance to make a jetty trip to acquire fresh bait, usually squid or herrings. Ive found this to be the most successful way of catching fish, and if i dont get EXACTLY the target species im after, at least i get a reasonable/edible/entertaining by catch.

I realise that sounds nerdy, but much like yourself ive found when ive simply resolved 'im going fishin' and just go down to the local beach or jetty with some frozen pilchards or cockles I get less then SFA, sometimes not even a bite.

by the sounds of it all your doing a lot of good things ,fresh bait always is the best by far, but another thing is ..are people near you catching anything?? ...if so ,what are they using for bait?? or what set ups and rigs are they using....if they are using lures watch the action they are using to get there lures and SP's wiggling .....

Every little bit helps .and as Aaron said ..research is key.......can never know too much when it comes to fishing.....

I love watching youtube videos when weather is shit or have spare time .....someone somewhere has recorded their efforts and posted it (be it for fishing ,making rigs ,tying knots or tweeking SP's.....and its better than reading a book.....

Happy Fishing and Researching :D   :boot::fishing:

Pick an abundant easy to catch species and learn to catch them before moving onto another species. Bait is much easier than lures for most species. Fish light line and light weight. Fish for whats around, not what you would like to catch. At this time of year it is mostly salmon and bream.

Heaps of bream in the Onk and Westlakes. Pilchards are an easy bait to use. No sinker and size 6 hook, 6lb or 8lb trace and cast out and let the bait drift with the wind and current and you will get a few.

Also fish one or two spots and learn how to catch fish there at different times of the tide, day and year. Find a spot where people are getting fish and be inquisitive but polite. Eg. St Kilda Breakwall at dawn on a high tide for ST.

Watch how the locals fish, what lures/bait and line they use. Don't get in their way but ask a few questions.

Adelaide Metro landbased is not easy to fish, but the fish are there.

light threadline outfit, 7 foot rod, 6lb braid or lighter if you can. Trace from 4lb to 10lb. 2 inch or 2 inch gulp minnow size jig head about 1/8 or lighter. Cast out and slow retrieve. Sometimes you need to follow the school.

Or bait, pilchard cube, half pilchard, whitebait. No or very light sinker, 8lb trace and a longer rod to cast the lighter bait.

Hook size to match the bait. Size 6 for whitebait upto 2/0 for 1/2 pilchards. You should get plenty of distance with a pilchard chunk,.

Fish right near the end, watch the locals.

• 3 weeks later...