How has everyone been faring with the cockle season so far ??Went down yesterday arvo for a couple of hours and got our limit. 8)Harder work than previous years but early in the season yet.Heard some people say there aren't many around but found them in huge numbers but mainly babies. ???When we did find some legals they were very good sizes and were always in a group of 3-4 per handful.Happy to have some back in the freezer for a change ;D

How has everyone been faring with the cockle season so far ??

Hey Buddy,Never been before ???. Is there much involved in catching them? do you have to measure them? what is the limit? where is "further down the beach?" Can you get 'em at any stage of the tide?Again, just curious, not sure I'd trail down there for cockles as that precious time could be spent catching those scaly fish thingos instead.Cheers, Tony.

Tony.. easy as pie mate.35mm, 600 per person per day although about to be reduced to 300 and currently asked to abide by the 300 rule even though not written :angel:To get them you just do a little dance in the sand that would have been red hot back in your early years "the twist" :D;).You quickly feel them under your feet and I usually park my butt in the sand and you will feel them coming up around you as you dig in the sand.I always wear a wet suit to help fight the cold especially when there for hours on end in the water.I normally always go a little deeper than some due to the wetsuit and always do well. Where the water washes up and back is always good although you do see some people with spades up higher digging but hard work for little return sometimes.I have never really worried about tides and always got them but low tide is best. Normally head atleast 3-5km up before starting.Hope this helps mate.For the little bit of effort, there is a lot of reward for one of the best baits. The best thing is that they freeze very well

Hey, buddy,I'm impressed,even 300 decent cockles would be worth the trip down there :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_biggrin:Another plus is I've recently scored a nice little Reddy spot not too many stones throws away from the cockling :icon_e_biggrin: ;)I was no mean hand at the old "Chubby Checker" dance either, I own a wet suit and now that I've got a big fat arse, I should get my bag limit in less than 30 minutes :fishing: :icon_lol:Thanks for the tips mate. :fishing:Cheers, Tony.

Good advice Jags and well done on your cockles ;)What we do Tony is just get on hands and knees and dig with hands. Whilst digging the wash digs your knees and feet into the sand revealing more cockles. When you get onto a good patch you wont even need to measure. We keep an onion bag around our wrist with a draw string and then empty it into the esky just back from the wash when it's getting heavy. Can get them in quick fire time ;)

Thanks WB, youse guys are getting me all fired up now to have a go at this cockling, sounds like a bit of a tradition and a lot of fun as well. :icon_e_biggrin: :fishing:What a shame I have to force myself up to the Mid north next week end with "Scorps" to bump the SAFWAA redfin Trophy up a bit more :stir:Oh well, holidays not too far away now ;) ;)Cheers, Tony.
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,went down to Salt creek last week and noticed a small sign has been put up at Tee Tree crossing saying no recreational cockling allowed until further notice. Goes onto say the only area allowed for recreational cockling is Goolwa beach. seems silly to me to restrict us all to Goolwa beach while the pros get 20-30 km of beach at Salt Creek. Does anyone have any other info as this is one I would like to be corrected on.P.S Hope I've done this right as it's my first post. Scooter

Thanks Spotter, that certainly answers that question!

GENERALQ. When can I take pipi?Pipi may be taken from 1 November until 30 May each year. The taking of pipi is prohibited during the seasonal closure, which extends from 1 June to 31 October (inclusive) every year.Q. Is there a minimum legal size for pipi?Yes. The minimum legal length for every pipi taken is 3.5 centimetres, measured across the widest part of the shell.Q. What can I use to collect pipi?Recreational fishers may use a cockle rake, bait spade, bait fork or collect by hand. Commercial fishers may use a cockle rake endorsed on their fishery licence or collect by hand.Q. Why have the recent changes for the pipi fishery been introduced?The new restrictions have been introduced to reduce the impacts of fishing on the pipi resource due to possible overfishing and poor environmental conditions in the lower Murray region.RECREATIONAL FISHINGQ. Can I take pipi from the Coorong beach?No. The taking of pipi by recreational fishers is prohibited along the Younghusband Peninsula (Coorong beach) from the River Murray mouth to Kingston SE until further notice.Q. Can I take pipi from Goolwa beach?Yes. Recreational fishers may take pipi along the Sir Richard Peninsula (Goolwa beach). Commercial pipi fishing between the River Murray mouth and Port Elliot is prohibited.Q. How many pipi can I take?The daily recreational bag limit is a maximum of 600 pipi per person per day. This bag limit will be reduced to 300 pipi per person per day by amendment to fisheries regulations in the near future. Recreational fishers are asked to voluntarily abide by a daily bag limit of 300 pipi until this time. The total allowable commercial catch has also been halved.

Mark, Apparently the council down there want to close the beach and tracks to all vehicle access....Much like down our way with Aldinga/Sellicks ..Ive got the pamphlet too and will be joining the organisation as it was the first time i've been there, i had a ball, i dont want it to be the last.!!!!They are setting it up to challenge the council i believe.Stu

Guest dabilda

Customer came into the shop Tuesday not happy about the no cockling. He also had a brochure that was charging $15 a year for access to the beach also asking if you used the beach for fishing, photography, bird watching, cockling, surfing, camping and other options. He was under the impression, don't pay the $15 yearly, pay for individual access per trip.Anyone know more on this at all? Waterboy

All sounds like yet another council money grabbing scheme to me. I'd lay my next weeks pay down to say there will not be 1 cent spent on improving the beach in any way and nothing to address the cockle situation. Maybe the councilors have voted themselves a payrise and this is an easy way to cover it.Bureaucratic theft.