Whole nanygai recipes

I usually just Willet and skin and cook in butter/ garlic etc although got a few today and want to try some new recipes whole, have only ever had with tomatoes onion and lemon and baked, anyone got any other good recipes/ ideas to give a shot? Was thinking a thai style stuffing might be interesting. Anyway what ya got? What works well? Look forward to hearing from all you chefs out there.

Yeah ale usually I skin and bone, but then again I usually get big ones 40cm + got 8 today with most 30-35 so a bit of a waste filleting also I think they taste better when cooked whole. Ginger coriander and soy sounds good kelvin, might add some of my other little bits n pieces to it as well galangal, Lemon grass etc. don't get many snapper here only seasonal catch a lot of nanygai out wide but snapper aren't too common, more likely to catch blue morwong than snapper, much tastier in my opinion anyway. Thanks for the input guys

In my view Nannygai is even better than snapper, and lends itself well to whole baked fish. Even with snapper I always prefer the smaller 40cm ones over the larger ones.

Whenever I get a small snapper or nannygai, I always bake them whole wrapped in foil. My own preference is for asian style, with ginger, lemongrass, chili, coriander, lime, etc.

Slice the flesh to allow even cooking and the flavours of the spices to permeate, fill the gut cavity with the herbs, and even add a drizzle of white wine or soy.

Nothing compared to Tommie's or flathead anyway. Nanygai, blue grouper and blue morwong are up there with my top most rated fish and all taste great without masking their flavor although a lot of people cut grouper into big fillets which ruins it texture wise best way is to cut it into small strips as it is very tough for fish flesh and you almost need a knife to seperate it when cooked if it is in large peices. Before you have a go at me for keeping blue grouper there are a lot of them here when you go to the offshore reefs.

I love cooking whole fish and nanny's would have to be up there with one of the best tasting around!

I like to obviously gut and gill the fish and put a couple of score marks down each side.

Within the guts I make up a fried rice sort of thing-cook this before hand and let cool.

Add whatever into the rice onions,caps, kaffa lime leaves,mushrooms,leek whatever takes your fancy!

Stuff that inside the fishes guts. Few lime or lemon slices on bottom and top of fish and triple wrap in foil.

Cooking time depends on the size of the fish but find 15-20mins each side on the BBQ is good!

or until the rice is nice and warm!

Good added side dish for the fish too!

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst i've never tried this method personally, i'm reliably informed that the whole deep fried spicy nannygai at the marina hotel in port lincoln is superb.

The whole fish (minus the guts and scales) is deep fried.

Some of the more adventurous diners even eat the eyes!

• 1 month later...