Boating and Fishing at Westlakes under threat?

Anyone who boats or fishes at Westlakes....

A feedback form link

25 JULY DEADLINE

Read the attached pdf, particularly the definitions section, and the parts pertaining to

Boat Ramps

Closed Lakes

Use of Boats

FYI, the section referred to at the end of the pdf as Section 246(3)(e) of the Local Government Act 1999 states

provide that the by-law, or a provision of a by-law, applies only within a part or parts of the area as the council may determine from time to time

Get onto it folks...you only have a few days left.

;)

10557160_905463589470862_1089116132559616023_n.jpg

LOCAL_GOVERNMENT_LAND_BY-LAW_2014.pdf

Thanks.

Sounds a lot like the "creeping death" approach of DEWNR during the MP process.

Closure seems  to be over the top...

Special event aside (regattas) aside, every resident would/should have been aware of the fishing situation before they bought their property.

At the same time, wouldn't it be great if fishos outside of the lakeside properties were all tidy, respectful and quiet.

Perhaps a code of conduct prepared and agreed by fishos, and submitted to the council and residents might be the answer?

RJ

I might raise the ire of a few people with this, but to be fair there would be nothing unreasonable about something like

"No fishing within 100-200 metres of a residential property 10pm-6am"

...from a residential amenity perspective.

I sure as hell wouldn`t be happy with a telescope starwatching club having a midnight picnic on, say, a vacant block across the road from my place on a regular basis...would anyone here?

Are there current restrictions regarding no-go areas or times along the lines of what I mentioned above?

(If that`s already covered off then this new gem certainly needs jumping on, of course!)

Heres the update from SART 

WEST LAKES CLOSURE IMMANENT!

After more investigation today SART
has discovered that the new lake closures have already been added to by law no. 3 of 2014 DRAFT upon the request of council members.

THESE ARE VERY LIKELY TO GET PASSED BY A MAJORITY VOTE AT THE NEXT COINCIL MEETING UNLESS WE ALL REQUEST AND COMPLETE A FORM AND ARE PREPARED TO TALK INFRONT OF COUNCIL AS TO WHY THESE BY LAWS ARE SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE.

public consultation via a sign was minimal at best and peoples emails and calls are likely to not have much weight when it comes to influencing the final decision. For that reason:

ANSA SA will be requesting this form and as well as speaking at the meeting, we are thinking of holding a rally at this meeting to show that enough is enough in this state! It's time recreational fishing was heard!

PLEASE SHARE THIS ON EVERY FB FISHING PAGE AND FISHING FORUM

Thanks.

Sounds a lot like the "creeping death" approach of DEWNR during the MP process.

Closure seems  to be over the top...

Special event aside (regattas) aside, every resident would/should have been aware of the fishing situation before they bought their property.

At the same time, wouldn't it be great if fishos outside of the lakeside properties were all tidy, respectful and quiet.

Perhaps a code of conduct prepared and agreed by fishos, and submitted to the council and residents might be the answer?

RJ

I might raise the ire of a few people with this, but to be fair there would be nothing unreasonable about something like
"No fishing within 100-200 metres of a residential property 10pm-6am"
...from a residential amenity perspective.

I sure as hell wouldn`t be happy with a telescope starwatching club having a midnight picnic on, say, a vacant block across the road from my place on a regular basis...would anyone here?

Are there current restrictions regarding no-go areas or times along the lines of what I mentioned above?
(If that`s already covered off then this new gem certainly needs jumping on, of course!)

The council and residents can take other actions other than the stated. Such as law enforcement like everybody else in the country. Fishos aren't just to blame, but maybe the drunkards from the local waltzing past and other would be no gooders. My spots are within 100-200mtrs of residents and Mulloway fishing is best at the times of 10pm to 6am. Would you ring the local law enforcement on the Star watching club, if they weren't above the dB limits.

Hobbo
Would you ring the local law enforcement on the Star watching club, if they weren't above the dB limits.

No - but if it was regular and ongoing and an amenity nuisance (voices at 2am etc) then I sure as hell would be getting together with a few neighbours and making strong representation to the council to make ByLaws to "make it stop".

I suspect this is exactly what may have happened in this instance with potential ByLaws pertaining to Westlakes fishing?

And perhaps a timely reminder (for the people who consider it "as of right" to fish at Westlakes) of what transpired with metro sharking - sure, something may be legal...until it isn`t...
;)

I would be annoyed if I was that person too. Simple solution to most of those problems for him would be to close off public access to his house.

Litter is going to be a problem with all outdoor area's as people are generally pigs. Cig butts, fast food wrappers etc are all common through all public parks and walkways in SA which is a shame.
A bin in the area would reduce the amount of waste left on the ground.
It is a dry zone already so alcohol consumption is already breaking the law. Shouldn't introduce more laws because they are unable to police the current ones. "we cant be bothered to stop people from having a drink here so we will ban the whole area" is not a solution.

It needs to be put forward fishing at west lakes is a great family area to do so and environment.
Take the little kids down with a rod, have a picnic and try and catch a few bream or whatever else is swimming past.

• 2 weeks later...