City of Charles Sturt considering closing West Lakes to all fishing!!!

I saw this posted up on Facebook yesterday and haven't seen anything come through on the site from any official groups.

West-Lakes-Fishing-Closure.jpg

Feedback can be sent to:

Website www.yoursaycharlessturt.com.au 'Review of Councils By-Laws'

Email dscuteri@charlessturt.sa.gov.au

For further information contact Dani on 8408 1305

It's under discussion here: http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/24891-boating-and-fishing-at-westlakes-under-threat/

I think a little more information is relevant and pertinent before views are expressed.

When they say "at certain times" what times are they considering, and for what specific reason.

I'm sure some reasons and times would be quite legitimate and pertinent, kie: maintenance of drains, divers checking things such Caleurpa toxifolia, large organised on water events such as dragon boat racing, etc.

What I fear is that it instead simply provides unlimited power to the council, to close the lake off at will, for whatever reason they come up with, ie: complaints from residents, litter left behind, noise, dont want non-residents hanging around the area, or simply for no stated reason whatsoever.

cheers Kon!

ID have thought localised closures where already in place for  rowing regatas. why would they need to close the ENTIRE lake for rowers?

as for noise at nights..  i wouldnt think there would be that much noise amongst the fisherman.. all trying to stay quiet  and not scare the fish away..

Hahaha nice screen shot of me work BUT HERES AN UPDATE

WEST LAKES CLOSURE IMMANENT!

After more investigation today SART
has discovered that the new lake closures have already been added to by law no. 3 of 2014 DRAFT upon the request of council members.

THESE ARE VERY LIKELY TO GET PASSED BY A MAJORITY VOTE AT THE NEXT COINCIL MEETING UNLESS WE ALL REQUEST AND COMPLETE A FORM AND ARE PREPARED TO TALK INFRONT OF COUNCIL AS TO WHY THESE BY LAWS ARE SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE.

public consultation via a sign was minimal at best and peoples emails and calls are likely to not have much weight when it comes to influencing the final decision. For that reason:

ANSA SA will be requesting this form and as well as speaking at the meeting, we are thinking of holding a rally at this meeting to show that enough is enough in this state! It's time recreational fishing was heard!

PLEASE SHARE THIS ON EVERY FB FISHING PAGE AND FISHING FORUM

Problem for the fishos is we don't pay anything to fish there.

Residents of WL pay rates, and councils have always been driven by dollars.

Those ratepayers have a right to vote in council elections, fishos don't.

All because of a few selfish mongrels who gave us decent fishos a bad rep.

Problem for the fishos is we don't pay anything to fish there.

Residents of WL pay rates, and councils have always been driven by dollars.

Those ratepayers have a right to vote in council elections, fishos don't.

All because of a few selfish mongrels who gave us decent fishos a bad rep.

Always has it been so mate  :(

A small percentage stuffs it up every time  :wacko:  :blink:

Unfortunately bad news always travels better than good news and the

Management of the fisheries have to address these concerns  :rolleyes:

Good to see that we more concerned anglers are having a go to try and keep the playing field level :wub:

• 2 weeks later...