Leader knot recommendations?

Been using the Albright Knot for my lighter lure casting outfits; 5-12lb braid with 2-3m of 8-15lb flourocarbon leader.

I always tighten the knot down and cut the tag ends nice & short with a tiny dab of super glue on each.

Nevertheless ive experienced  issues with the knot catching at the smaller guides, seems to flip sideways or the leader tag  catches the main line.

Recon the knot is too 'long' creating a longer than necessary section that is rigid. Dont like how leader tag faces forward where its more likely to catch (even tho i try to smooth it with the bit of super glue too) & doesnt perform to my satisfaction.

A mate swears by the Slim Beauty, looks a bit messy but is pretty small and the leader tag faces backwards...... should i learn the FG?

Experiences/recommendations please!

I've been using a slim beauty for awhile now, but the way I learned to tie it is a bit different to most ways I've seen online, my version is a bit slimmer, easier to tie and seems strong enough. I used to use a uni to uni but I found I was having to retie often as the knot gets pretty beat up going through the guides.

I personally use a double unit but gave also dabbled with the FG.

I'd also suggest your leader is simply too long. I've been fishing artificials almost exclusively (and very successfully) for the last 10 years and my personal opinion on leader length is 5-6 foot, some people will tell you otherwise, but I've never had a problem on the light gear.

Slim beauty!! Bimini is mainly for competition fishing. Bimini though is( when done perfectly and joined to leader exactly in the middle of loop so strands are even) one of the few 99-100% strength knots there are.

In practical applications though, it has the drawback of making too much resistance going through the eyes of the rod for casting!

Also I have found that while the Bimini end is ultra strong, the end the leader is attached is much weaker, sort of defeats the object. When mine did part, was always in this place.

Slim beauty casts very well as the tail from the mono is in the middle of the knot.

Back 2 back uni is good enough when fishing shorter leaders where knot isn't wound through the eyes.

No offence, but that FG knot looks ridiculously complicated!

Slim beauty I use is uni with 3-5wraps for braid side and 5 times around raid with mono up, then straight back down between braid and mono where both strands meet the uni knot.

The Most important part is plenty of spit on the knots to stop friction when pulled tight, and slowly pulled tight! Esp with lighter leaders!!!

The thinner the braid, the more wraps I do for the uni knot.

It does have it's applications! Only having some fun... For thin braid to thick leader, I have had problems with the slim beauty and back to back uni knot. But for light tackle, up to 8 lb... It's very unnecessary. Slim beauty is definitely tops for me! Ure a very serious bunch...

I do know that half hitches do come undone sometimes after going through the gides over and over again. Even clove hitch on nylon tends to slip eventually.

Tie the FG at home properly and it should last a three day or weekender.

when I'm finished a trip I come home and start again, retie it. ;)

Nothing catches in the guides when casting and normally I don't have a problem with half hitches coming undone  

as long as the last one I do I pass through loop 3 or 4 times.

If you get a bust off using this knot you haven't set your DRAG properly.......I've been spooled before cracking this knot  with the drag set above line rate.

Took me a while to master but I trust it so much now that I cant not use it ...Its just that gooda knot.

Cheers and happy birthday to all the Horses . :headbang:

:) was about to say... On 30-70lb, you'd break your rod before you broke that! :) what u fishing for???

Usually snapper, but cause of some the areas we fish, you never know what you may hook up, so some stopping power is needed. I know it's overkill, but thats how I like it.  :unsure:

My best rod of 3 yrs is the overhead 5-8 kg TCurve & haven't broken it yet.  B)

I got a 2-4kg t-curve :) it's hard to fish with anything else after!! Just wish they made a nano t-curve! Been thinking of buying a nano tech of some description.... Hard to change when u get attached to 1 rod!

I used to fish heavy, got a shimano Trinidad wide spool with mono on it (only coz it would cost a fortune to fill with braid) on an Ian miller live fibre 8-10 kg surf rod... Well it was a surf rod, till I cut 60cm off the butt at the shop I purchased it. No offence, but I don't really get the whole long butt thing over here?? 20-30cm for me is perfect! Butt sits against lower abdomen, and pump and wind. They almost refused to let me have it after I asked if they had a hacksaw and started measuring where to cut :) :)

... Anyway, after nothing but stingrays and eagle rays and doggies, and after being spooled a few times while trying to catch live bait or anything else to pass the time with my old team Diana Tierra 4-8lb (by genuine he'd shaking bumping) sum things... I just lost interest in my stop anything weapon.

I haven't really known any good spots to try it though. I'm still learning.

My biggest stick I fish with is my Tierra 8-17 lb with Tierra 3000. Also 30 lb braid, normally don't go heavier than 40lb leader.

Got my pb snapper on 20lb. Graphite is amazing!! Unless u highstick them..... Heartbreak in learning experience!!

Over in the Spencer Gulf for the 40 plus whiting I use a 4 -7 kg Rev. TCurve spin with 15 lb braid & 30 lb leader FG knot of course, then I have a ShoGun Hawaiian Snaps on the leader for swapping rigs. Quite often targeting these whiting there's a chance we'll land a snapper or two.

This Gulf I use my Shimano Bushy Bait legend 3 -6 kg with left over 15 lb braid straight to a No 2 Hawaiian snap using a Polomar knot for the throw back whiting, well most of them.

Catana 2-4 for my squid fishin, great rod these are. B)  

I fish very light now, even started using 1lb braid with 2lb leader for yfw. Haven't broken 1 off yet. But 99% of my fishing is land based. And no big blue things to smash me up like over there! You should give 5lb a go on those whiting, I guarantee you it will make a huge difference! Any lighter is just asking for trouble! Even siglon FC sun line 6lb! It's about same diameter as most 5lb brands! Good all rounder to for abrasion, stretch and memory. Knots pull-up nice and tight too, some braids for some reason don't tie very well? Don't know what it is that causes that. But it is annoying!