Hey guys.

I'm after a 50lb rod to match a Saragosa 10,000. The primary use will be bottom bashing offshore with heavy lead (up to 15-20 oz) and I'd also like to double it for trolling divers for tuna and kings. Budget is $300.

I was initially looking at the Deep Jig 300 or the Monster Mesh but have heard that jig rods won't troll divers well.

Also hearing good reports about the Catalina rods.

Just trying to find something that is versatile enough to handle big leads but also suit trolling.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers.

Its no secret Im a big fan of the Catalina rods. Ive got 2 of them and love them to bits.

Ive got a 59HS and a Nabura 67.

Ive got a 5000 catalina on the 59HS and use it for bottom bashing in the strait and beyond. No worries handling the lead needed and the fish encountered. Ive also used it on the BFT found that way, seemed to work ok?

Ive also taken it on a liva aboard early this year, worked great Jigging big samsons out from Coffins.

http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/24408-awesome-long-range-charter-trip/page-1

I had a quick Jig with my mates Monster mesh, and the layout of the grips felt much nicer on the Catalina, but it may be a personal thing.

The charter operator had all Monster mesh's for customers to use if the need arrised tho.

Intrestingly, I couldnt find the Catalina rods listed on the Diawa website just then, did come across the saltist hyper range which I didnt know of. The Catalina is still listed in shops tho

Ive played with the Saltist rods and they seem ok for the $$$, and even cheaper, I did briefly own a salina II rod with the fancy blue seat etc.

Much cheaper, so bang for buck it was pretty damn good if you dont mind the brand image.

Mate also got given a ABU garcia Salty JIg to try and break during our charter, it too worked well and may be worth a look.

Great advice Ale, cheers mate, always good to hear first hand info.

The Catalinas sure do get great reviews. Word is the Deep Jigs are a bit broomstick in action whereas the Catalina have a more parabolic action. That probably helps with trolling divers I guess, gives a bit more flex...

The Catalina 5000 is 100g lighter than the Goza 10,000 but it'd probably still balance ok. Rays have the Catalina rods for $250 at the moment... pretty good deal I reckon.

Do you run 50lb on your 59H?

No dramas with really heavy leads?

And yeah I too can vouch for those Okuma Salina rods. I've got the 80lb version. Hooked a massive smooth ray at Port Augusta last year and figured I'd try get it to the top just to test the rod out (figured if I snapped it it's only $100). Locked up the drag on my Saragosa 18,000 running 80lb and started pulling... didn't break it and got it to the top, biggest ray I've ever hooked. Very strong rods for the money.

U can see the rod in Rotare’s vid to see what the action is on it whilst jigging, excuse the unco-ness on my behalf tho.

In all honesty, I don’t really pay too much attention to some of the finer points of actions etc. I just know what I find comfortable to use, but yes, I’ve had the thing bent to a nice semi circle all the way to rod seat during tussles with those Samsons!!

In an ideal world, one would have a rod for jigging, another for bottom bashing and another for Jigging, but in my case I just can’t justify the $$$$ so choose this one to cover all bases.

I guess jigging and bottom bashing need very similar traits in rods tho, would you agree?

I can tell you that when trolling a tuna hard body with it the whole rod vibrates, not just the tip.

I’ve actually discussed it with other mates, no idea why.

Yes, PE5 Saltiga braid on the reel.

Reckon we call it quits once 20oz sinkers don’t hold the bottom down off the Cape, not the best if the fish aren’t biting , but the rod handles it ok.

Yeah agree with the jigging / bottom stuff mate, at the end of the day it's a matter of whether the rod can handle the weight huh. I do bugger all jigging so it's good to know the Catalina can handle the heavy leads.

Not sure why the whole rod would vibrate on the troll, but as long as the lure swims ok that's the main thing. I've heard that some jig rods will just rip lures out of the water coz they're too stiff.

Hopefully the extra 100g of the Saragosa still balances ok with the Catalina. I'll head down and check it out.

• 2 weeks later...