I was inspired by a recent episode of River Cottage, where Hugh made a cerviche with bull mullet.

Thinking salmon was going to be relatively easy for me to come by and similarly oily,decided to give something different a go. A current oversupply of lemons & limes was helpful too.

Here goes:

•  ST fillets - skinned, de-boned, bloody bits removed and chopped in 3cm or so chunks (mine were from 6 x 35-40cm fish)
  • 1 tsp each minced garlic & ginger
  • handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
  • fresh chilli to taste, finely chopped
  • lemon/limes freshly juiced

Mix all together in a pyrex dish and juice enough lemon/limes to just cover the fish. Cover and refridgerate for 3 hours.  Remove and eat.

The fish is 'cooked' by the juice and changes colour as if its been cooked conventionally.

salmon cerviche.JPG

Pretty simple and tasty. Not overly sour as the ST flavour holds its own. Mine needed more chilli!

Alas does say "summer & pilsner" to me.

If anyone wants to give something slightly different a try, a few years back I scored a Kahawai in NZ of about 3-4kg. Was put straight on ice and later that night filleted , blood line cut out and we had it as sashimi. Swore there & then that I'd never cook another one.