Bream closed season in the Onkaparinga River

• 1 month later...

Due to a little confusion over this matter I'd just like to remind everyone that actually targeting bream in the closed area of the Onkaparinga River during the closed season is illegal.

I'll refer to a post from PIRSA back in 2010.

Hi Tony,Apologies for the delay in responding apprpriately.Restricting and preventing fishing activities that target fish during breeding seasons in particular areas is a common fisheries management tool designed to ensure the long-term sustainability of the stocks.The upper area of the Onkaparinga River is considered to be an important spawning area for Bream during September to November. It is important that during this period, Bream are not killed, injured or stressed, so as to allow them the best chance of spawning successfully.For this reason, as previously stated, the Onkaparinga River is closed to the taking of Bream upstream of the Main South Rd bridge at Noarlunga from 1st September to 30 November each year.The Fisheries Regulations state that the taking of an aquatic resource includes any act that is preparatory to or involved in the taking of those aquatic resources, irrespective of whether or not any such aquatic resource has been actually caught. This therefore allows us to take action against, for example, those that set unregistered rock lobster pots, or illegal gill nets, but actually haven't caught any fish at the time in them. The act of trying to catch these fish illegally is the offence. For this reason, we discourage anyone from specifically targeting the fish during the closed period and rather encourage fishers to fish in a different location or for a different species during that period.At the end of the day, the less stress or damage imposed on the fish during this important time in their life cycle, the better it is for the fishery as a whole.Troy HarrisFisheries OfficerBirkenhead 

The original thread can be viewed here http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/8774-old-noarlunga-bream-season-closure/

It would be far easier for everyone, bream included if they just made the area no fishing at all during this period. I know this is the belief of a few people who have fished the Onk over the years.

No one would be busted, no one would have to prove they were fishing for mullies, the bream would more than likely have a bit of a population boom. The rules would then be black and white, easy to understand and to follow.

It would be far easier for everyone, bream included if they just made the area no fishing at all during this period. I know this is the belief of a few people who have fished the Onk over the years.

No one would be busted, no one would have to prove they were fishing for mullies, the bream would more than likely have a bit of a population boom. The rules would then be black and white, easy to understand and to follow.

Now that would be far too sensible. :facepalm:

Now that would be far too sensible. :facepalm:

Its just like I see during the trolling ban up here ....Twits throwing 300mm lures at snags .....Im not trolling I'm just after a callop ....Yeah right .

Rules and regs have to be made clear cut so even the smartest of dickheads dont bend them.

It is quite annoying that its not a complete ban to fish upstream all together, i must admit i am guilty of going up stream after mulloway but the number of bream to mulloway is ridiculous, never again! They need to make the signs clearer too, look upstream of the bridge next time ur on south road on a weekend and look at all the weekend fishos...

completely agree

completely agree

I also Agree, and have for many years!

• 2 weeks later...
Fishingmad
It is quite annoying that its not a complete ban to fish upstream all together, i must admit i am guilty of going up stream after mulloway but the number of bream to mulloway is ridiculous, never again! They need to make the signs clearer too, look upstream of the bridge next time ur on south road on a weekend and look at all the weekend fishos...

Have had similar thoughts folks - a few weekends ago on a Sat drove over the bridge late AM and then mid arvo.
Nobody downstream of the bridge, but I swear there were chair people every 30-ish metres upstream.
Hey, it was a nice day and all... not a mullie dude myself, but is that the best time of day to catch those in that part of the world?
:unsure:

Doesn't help when you have things like the 'This week’s fishing report, brought to you by the team at Tackle World Adelaide Metro.' for the 17th October reporting 'Bream continue to be caught in the upper reaches of the Onkaparinga River along with small to legal size school Mulloway'

How far exactly are the 'upper reaches of the Onkaparinga River'?

You think a local tackle store would include something about the closed season wouldn't you?

Doesn't help when you have things like the 'This week’s fishing report, brought to you by the team at Tackle World Adelaide Metro.' for the 17th October reporting 'Bream continue to be caught in the upper reaches of the Onkaparinga River along with small to legal size school Mulloway'

How far exactly are the 'upper reaches of the Onkaparinga River'?

You think a local tackle store would include something about the closed season wouldn't you?

South Road Bridge upstream is "bandit country" after October the first  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Unfortunately the idiots ignore the rules. I was in a well known tackle shop last Thursday, the one that has just had a large expansion, and witnessed the manager of the shop selling a cheapish combo to a bloke, and offering advice on fishing for bream in the area well upstream of the bridge. When I pointed out the closed season I was told I didn't know what I was talking about and that the closed season did not start until Nov 1.