What's everyone catching at the moment?

Seems that there's not many reports going up at the moment, come on there has to be a few fishing trips going on in this great weather we're having!

So what's everyone catching or attempting to catch?

I might go for some squid and have a big bait out as well. I've heard reports of gar getting caught land based too so might give that a bash also.

I went out mid week for not much but a couple decent tommies and a small trevally. I almost landed a squid on a small long shank I had out with a tiny piece of pilchard on it and was pinged off by what I reckon must have been a salmon but who knows, it was in close to the rocks where it made it's escape, lucky bugger.

Squid are still in abundance but that is all I'm consistently catching at the moment. I have been trying my inshore northern grounds for reds without much success. Haven't noticed any boats lining up on the edge of the shipping channel so cant be to much happening there.   Water temp is starting to rise but is still pretty cool.

temp.png

Fished the Murray near Cobdogla today for a couple of hours. All baitfishing, mostly a mix of tigers and earthworms.

8 callop, 4 carp and 3 silver perch, there were also some shrimp turning up in the pots which helped nail the 2 biggest callop at 52cm and 47cm.

Will have more time next weekend, planning an overnighter with my swag, hoping to get a decent 24hr fishing sesh and a cricket score catch.

Really impressed with the way natives are outnumbering carp in the river lately, both the silvers and the goldens all looked in prime condition, and I even let my old man keep 3 callop for a feed, which being a C&R fisho myself hasn't happened for years. 

Made him gut and clean the fillets up, and chances are he will eat most of it....

Should be back in the salty stuff for a bream sesh during the week, hoping the warmer weather is firing them up.

Fished the Murray near Cobdogla today for a couple of hours. All baitfishing, mostly a mix of tigers and earthworms.

8 callop, 4 carp and 3 silver perch, there were also some shrimp turning up in the pots which helped nail the 2 biggest callop at 52cm and 47cm.

Will have more time next weekend, planning an overnighter with my swag, hoping to get a decent 24hr fishing sesh and a cricket score catch.

Really impressed with the way natives are outnumbering carp in the river lately, both the silvers and the goldens all looked in prime condition, and I even let my old man keep 3 callop for a feed, which being a C&R fisho myself hasn't happened for years.

Made him gut and clean the fillets up, and chances are he will eat most of it....

Should be back in the salty stuff for a bream sesh during the week, hoping the warmer weather is firing them up.

Sounds like it needs a report of it's own Tinker!! Awesome season by the sound of it. Never managed a callop or silver but I reckon a trip to murrayland could've in order this spring.

So people are getting out there and catching a few fish, that's good. I think some of you have to write up some reports ;)

I didn't have time to get out for a fish this weekend but I'll try to get out somewhere during the week if I can.

How about that session we talked about awhile ago ;)

We smashed the snapper a few weeks ago locally.  Had our bag of over 60's in no time.  Changed over to light gear and plastics and C&R for a while - awesome fun.  Shifted to another spot in 15m of water looking to fill our bag of ruggers and kept on getting smashed by more big ones - what a problem :P .  All fish were 65-85cm.  Just been too busy to write a report :wacko:

hookedup_zps9b73fd47.jpg

CampR_zps13ea6602.jpg

Conditions were quite different to Saturday. However water temps are holding and the fish are around.

Caught my bag today. Size a bit smaller than Saturday. I kept fish 30-37cm . Released plenty under 30cm. Plenty of Trouties around as well. 

140918_3e.jpg

You can still catch plenty on the dodge tides. Find the spots that they will hold on in a dodge.

Cheers,

Des

• 7 months later...

Had a first fish of the Onk today. It was good to have a look around and do a bit of a prep for future fishing there. Landed three, this pic the first and largest. All caught on Pontoon21 Crackajack, soon after snagged and lost Crackajack :angry:

Heading back in the morning this time with my PA12.

Then the following two days further down to Rapid Bay for a first fish in the kayak there.

Hints and tips welcomeonk bream.html

Had a first fish of the Onk today. It was good to have a look around and do a bit of a prep for future fishing there. Landed three, this pic the first and largest. All caught on Pontoon21 Crackajack, soon after snagged and lost Crackajack :angry:

Heading back in the morning this time with my PA12.

Then the following two days further down to Rapid Bay for a first fish in the kayak there.

Hints and tips welcomeattachicon.gifonk bream.html

Went back in PA12 and had a good morning landing five bream all between 30-40cm, half a dozen salmon trout.

Strike Pro micro vibe - 4 bream. And after the hooks bent out changed to:-

gulp camo - 1 bream

Well worth the drive. Sorry no pics....I was way tooo exited :)

Had to cancel on rapid bay, will get there after this winter.