Hi guys,

being put on as an apprentice mechanic has started to get a bit of cash flow going around and im looking at a light graphite rod that i can use as a whiting rod in around the 2-4kg range with a decent reel... My question is, is this possible or should i just buy the rod and reel seperately. if you recommend a combo what would you guys get?

Cheers langley

Id probably buy seperately but depends on your budget and what you are after. Have a look around the locals and see what's on offer.

As an idea from the latest BCF catalogue (for no particular reason other than i'd briefly perused it):

Symetre FL spin pack $149 . Dunno what the rod's like but  Symetre's a nice reel and you wont find one for under $118.

Also have the Sedona FD Spin Pack at $109 and for a cheaper reel are pretty good too, you wont find under $70. Again NFI what the rods are like tho!

You definitely get what you pay Langley. I'd be looking at something along the lines of the symetre combo.

Other rod suggestions I'd recommend are the shimano mex fire raiders, Pfleuger trions, Daiwa TDTs depending on how much you want to spend. Even some Samaki rods are good bang for buck options.

probably maximum $250 I know I'm pushing it to get a decent combo but you know apprentice wages aren't too flash..... have been looking at the symetres and bcf have the combo deal that looks good basically the reel for $149 with a free rod but you pay for what you get.... I have the Shakespeare slingshot in the 6-8 kg range and that's really good for mostly anything but want something reasonably light.... Southie I'm sort of looking for an all round rod mainly for yellow fin with kg's every now and then but i can flick baits in the onka for bream as well tough ask i know

My favourite 2-4kg combo at the moment is a Shimano Catana Nano 8ft rod matched up with a Quantum Smoke PT25 spooled with Fins XS 8lb.

Caught everything on it, from bream and salmon up to 5+kg carp, it really loads up nicely with a big fish, yet is still unbelievably light and will cast a mile even with small 5g hardbodies.

The Quantum reels have one of the smoothest drags I have ever used, never miss a beat, and look awesome.

Might be slightly over-budget though......rod-$100,....reel-$180.....not to forget the braid which will be another $50.

Food for thought.

If you could get away with a 1-3kg rod I have one for sale in the for sale thread.... it was going to be my bream/YFW/tommy all round  rod, it loads up nicely and has the extra length to cast out baits and lures etc...

If not for around the $250 mark you could get a Daiwa lexa for around $149 nice little reels, Then get an samaki all lure or skitch rod for around $80 then get some fireline and you will be within budget and would have an awesome all round combo...