advice on ABU 7000i

Hi guy was wondering if any members have a ABU 7000i   have been looking for a new overhead reel and had a ABU 7000c back in the early 90's that was a awesome reel for larger fish and was wondering if these newer models are still any good found them on ebay brand new in box for a very reasonable $147 bucks free delivery from fishing wholesalers Lonsdale any feed back would be great thanks guys

i have and still use the old Swedish 7000 i bought about 25 years ago it works great,i bought a knew one as you mentioned about a year ago and there is absolutely no comparison,does not cast ,retrieve or even feel the same.my first ABU i have had i replacement of the screw/worm in the level wind on the old ABU about 2yrs ago the new one lasted less than 2yrs,keep the good memories and choose again.

Cheers 

Andrew

Never used the newer 7000i reels, but I remember them getting heaps of bad reviews when they came out several years back.

Depending on what line test you want to use and whether you can get away with no levelwind, for a bit more money there are better options.

The Penn squall reels are brilliant (have cast with them and planning on buying one soon), I think the star drag models go for around $170 and I know Fishing Wholesalers can get them for you.

I'm also a fan of Daiwa Sealine X (I own three) and the older Slosh reels, harder to source here but possibly a bit less $ than the Penns.

Any thoughts on the shimano charter special lever drag reels

Good solid reels, basically a TLD with a levelwind. If you plan on using the reel for live or dead bait from a boat then you won't go wrong with one of those. If it's for beach use then I wouldn't go for a lever drag or levelwind.

Agree with the above. I have a 33 year old 7000 that I have only had to fix two side plate screws due to my poor maintenance. Thought I'd buy another one on special about 5 years ago and it lasted 2 years before going in the bin. But, I got a 9000 about a year later and it is great. Have heard about poor materials and quality control in different batches made in China over the years.

I have had 7000 for about 15 years, gets used about once a year on the beach and never misses a beat. Have not used the new model.

Also have a Shimano charter special that has also been faultless as a "winch" on a 6' solid tip glass rod on charters for yonks. As its my back up rig, it usually gets "lent out" to others that break theirs or want to try an overhead, so the level wind comes in handy. Its slow to crank up from depth, doesn't have a huge drag but handles most of what we get off Yorkes etc. I rate it as a solid low cost option that will do the job if its not pushed beyond what its capable of (like some of the newer high end reels seem to be able to do). Easy to service as well!

If the use of the reel is for surfcasting baits, you cannot go past the Penn Squall 12 or 15 which Plankton alluded to. Magnetic cast control, huge gears and drag, awesome casting performance but with user friendly graphite frame gives you a reel that has everything you need. I have had fancy billet reels (Avet SX, Avet JX, Penn Inter Torque 100, TG-F1) but the pair of Squalls (12 and 15) are always the first reels I pick up when going surf fishing. They are just so functional and reliable.

Regards,

SB