My first fish on fly

Managed my first ever fish on fly this afternoon under the aid of Southie the Banga! After getting back from Port Vic mid-afternoon, I was pretty well asleep on the couch when Southie told me he was heading out for a flyfishing mission. Grabbed the fly rod and jumped in the car and off I went. We met up and had a few looks at pools and spotted a few wily browns but difficulties in casting kept us out of action.

Moved onwards to a known pool of a nice couple of browns and the bigger one was out and about. We both threw an assortment of flies at him, clearly feeding, but nothing doing. I went for a walk further up to see if anything else was around and on my way back found a smaller brown swimming in less than a foot of water. A quick cast and he turned and smacked my fly and everything came tight. He jumped around a bit and hit dry land pretty quickly before a photo and release was done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Afterwards, we kept persisting with the larger and clearly visible larger brown but couldn't entice a strike. At least this gives me the confidence in my ability as a flyfisho and will give me encouragement for when I intend to target other species such as carp and mulloway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bjorn2fish
      Inside we've crammed in a range of wintery and early spring content, including big metro reds on plastics, thumper callop from a remote hot spot, Port River and Patawalonga bream, PLUS hard-body spring trout techniques, giant bluefin tuna, offshore flathead and flounder tactics and a day with the Port Adelaide football club. If this isn't enough all our state-wide reports and gear and outboard reviews round out a bumper issue.Fishing SA Magazine August/September 2014 issue Out Now!

Fishing SA Aug/Sep edition will be released into all metro tackle stores by Tuesday this week and newsagents this week also.

Inside we've crammed in a range of wintery and early spring content, including big metro reds on plastics, thumper callop from a remote hot spot, Port River and Patawalonga bream, PLUS hard-body spring trout techniques, giant bluefin tuna, offshore flathead and flounder tactics and a day with the Port Adelaide football club. If this isn't enough all our state-wide reports and gear and outboard reviews round out a bumper issue.

Check it out in a tackle store or newsagent near you or order direct from our website www.fishingsa.com.au.

Looks like a cracker issue, get into it guys!

Click here to view the article