Abalone tenderizing ideas/ thoughts?

It's coming on summer time, and I regurly get abalone diving. Usually I shuck them, beat the crap out of them and then slice thinly does the trick but it's a lot of work, even though it is worth it as they are very tasty. I am looking at other ways to cook/ prepare to tenderize them have heard of them being soaked in milk overnight then rinsed and apparently it does the trick. My indigenous friend holding them whole just smashed them on the rocks in the shell and it pretty much shucks itself and he recons comes out perfect ( put a whole ab in a sandwich and eat perfect) just looking at a few different ways to do it as I'm sick of gettin the hammer out and beating them ruthlessly feel free to chuck in some recipes if you want as well :)

Try slicing thinly and then beating the crap out of them, less effort and the fibres separate better, done that way it only takes a very short cook on high heat. I've also had them put on the barbie plate whole and take thin slices off the edges as they cook, no tenderising, works well but time consuming.

same sort of thing when soaking squid in kiwi fruit and milk overnight, just makes it a bit more tender. doesn't add flavour

But when eating fresh it shouldn't make too much of a difference

Yep whole ab in the hand and smash againest a rock or cement, once the membrane of the ab is hit it relaxes the mussle.

I normally cut it into thin strips and then bash with a meat mallet, bit of time preparing but hell worth it!

I hardly do anything special to the abs, I don't think can do wrong with lemon flour cooked in butter quickly on the hot plate on the beach only minutes after getting these buggers!

Can't wait for the water to warm up a tad and get amongest them myself!

Not to cold at the moment Dylzz I got a few yesterday in my 5mm suit not too cold, just very merky in my area so struggled to find them in 6-7m of water had to dive down and search on a breath lol. Smashing whole has been my most success so far and have tried them marinated on BBQ, deep fried and in stir frys always taste good

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...