fiberglass vs graphite (bait)

After just having spent a couple of days down on the Yorke peninsular at Wool Bay, and spending majority of that time bait fishing for whiting and snapper it made me wonder if fiberglass or graphite rods are better for bait fishing.

I was happy bait fishing for whiting I caught 12 in the space of 10 minutes. The next day we went snapper fishing which was a bit difficult having to use a heavy sinker with my 3-6kg samaki but it was ok. That was until I hooked a gummy shark with my 2500 stradic and 10lb braid. It made me think if I had an equivalent rod but fiberglass would have given me a better chance of pulling the gummy in, as I would be able to put more weight onto the shark, also with a fiberglass rod it would be easier to use even heavier sinkers.

So when it comes to bait fishing what do you guys use I still love the pure feel of my graphite rod and how light it is, maybe for bait fishing composite rods are the way to go with there fiberglass tips. However for my next rod (heavier than 3-6kg) I like the look of the gomoku storm rods.

Cheers in advanced.

If you are going to be fishing weighted baits I would be looking at something other then a Gomoku unless you are going to be lowering your baits with a down rigger.  I have a red and a blue one that I love but use them solely for fishing unweighted baits, jigs or plastics. There are much better rods out there for bait fishing.  Once you go graphite I don't think its easy to go back to fibreglass, I find the feel and sensitivity of a graphite rod to be far better than fibreglass. Yes different rods suit different occasions but I personally wouldn't consider a fibreglass rod for the majority of fishing I do.

Recently  I have been using a Berkely Dropshot Gen 4 6,10" 8 to 12 kg with a 3000 size reel for bait fishing in 20 to 45 m of water for whiting through to snapper and have found it to be lethal haha .  They are a slim graphite blank that doesn't feel anything like a typical 8 to 12 kg rod but they have plenty of power when you need it and are suitable for fishing decent sinkers.   People might scoff at the fact that I use an 8 to 12 kg rod for whiting but where I have been fishing recently you never know what the next fish is going to be.

I think with rods its all about what you get used to. 

Graphite all the way!! Esp with braid! You just can't beat the directness and feel! You also don't have to take 10 windes before you get enough tension to finally strike when you're getting a bite, or try to hit so hard that you almost fall over backwards when you miss :) easier to guide the fish one handed with the rod... True enjoyment to have so much feel of what the fish is doing, instead of using half your energy just to hold those heavy, wobbly polls trying desperately to keep a good bend.

Allows you to simply hold on and enjoy the fight. Chalk and cheese to me! No two ways about it

I believe graphite!! the first reason is it is a lot thinner and with a decent reel is probably half the weight of a fibreglass rod.... second is you see even the smallest of bites... I believe with braid there is no other easier way to catch the fish.. the odds seem to be forever on your side with graphite... i can constantly out fish mates who have fibreglass rods.... tbh I was skeptical at first on the difference between the two thinking there possibly could not be that much of a difference then I used Fishingmad's daiwa gen black and then you go back to the fibreglass and it feels gross, heavy unresponsive and just less hookups