Inflatable Boats

Hey mate,

Not sure what size you're planning on getting but the brother in law had an ex surf rubber ducky for a few years.  They are pretty durable, reasonably easy to cart about and launch, but as he quickly realised not really ideal to fish from - no proper seating, no rod holders and everything on the floor slides about.  Not probably what you want to hear but IMO you're probably better off looking at a small tinny if the purpose is primarily for fishing.

@rotare - Most tinny's if you buy them basic with no accessories have crappy aluminum seating, no rod holders and everything on the floor slides about until it sticks in the channel in the middle and gets soaked by the bilge water that gets there.

You can add after market modifications to an inflatable just as you can with a tinny. Seen some good video's with really well set out inflatables with railing added around holding rod-holders, bait boards, fish finders and everything else you might want with decent seats added in and all the other unnecessary but enjoyable modifications. Plus they pack down to a much smaller size than a tinny and weigh a lot less as well.

Another option for storage and traveling convenience might by the folding porta-boat: http://www.porta-bote.com.au/

My dad has one and its been very resilient and folds down flat when needed for storage. Before the yacht he had it attached to the side of his RV for pleasure boating. Again needs accessories to set it up for fishing properly but I've done a little fishing in it in the North Arm as it is. He uses it as his yacht tender and not a fishing boat so I have to make do when I take it out.

Most of the newer models are designed to have air chambers + aluminium floor.

Meaning if you put a hole in one, it won't essentially sink.

This is what i've been looking at: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-3-m-inflatable-boat-tender-yacht-dinghy-fishing-camping-hunting-pontoon-boat-G-/181478936849?pt=AU_Sport_Boating_Water_Sports_Watercraft&hash=item2a40fcd111

Thinking this Aquos brand might be ok. Add an 86lb trolling motor = happy days

Considering the cost (Kayak+Freight+Currency Conversion) and the risk since I haven't heard really good things about the cheap Chinese knockoff inflatables you might be better saving a little more and getting something better designed from the start.

That sunshade might look nice but in our gulf I think it would be like a sail and pose a real risk of capsizing unless there is almost no wind.

You can get a StraitEdge angler from an Australian dealer for about $1200. Aluminium accessory rail and keel like support struts at the front and back for better tracking.

http://www.ozinflatablekayaks.com.au/straitedgeanglerinflatablekayak

Or like Totes is looking at, a aluminium decked inflatable boat for about the price of one of those inflatable canoes.