Land based snapper reel suggestions

Evening all, I'm currently looking for a second reel to use while fishing land based for snapper. At the moment I've got 1 rod set up with a pflueger salt 60 reel but looking to get a different reel for a second set up, I've been thinking about possibly trying a bait runner out to see how well it will perform off the rocks. Anyone got some insights into this?

I would recommend an overhead reel, heaps better than baitrunners IMO. They're really quite easy to cast once you learn and much better at fighting fish, keeping in touch with your bait and letting a fish run before striking. Plus they weigh less than a similar capacity threadline. Both Daiwa and Penn have some nice options.

Pretty much all the LB snapper I've caught have been solid hookups. I do prefer overheads but have the drag set reasonably firmly. I've not seen the need to let the fish run (a la baitrunner), but other people's opinions may vary.

Just for reference, my favourite terminal setup is 3 closely snelled 3/0 Gamakatsus or Owner cutting points with small individual baits. Again opinions will vary :-)

Cheers!

SB

I would use the overheads if I was fishing off the boats but I only fish for snapper once the wind kicks up quite alot, over running the overhead would happen quite often as I have to cast extremely aggressively to make distance to reach the spots I need too.
Never used the bait runner option in the past but while fishing out in the boat I tend to do so to allow the snapper to pick up the bait and mouth it a bit more, I find snapper tend to pick up a bait and move with it while eating as opposed to remaining fairly stationary. if the fish are skittish as soon as they feel the resistance they'll just drop the bait so I'm leaning towards a bait runner at the moment

@underpants I'll check those out, The weight won't really bother me as I'll be fishing 2 rods, one set up with circle hooks so I can leave it in the holder and then one that I'll fish a little more actively but using the rod holder with regular suicide hooks with the bait runner turned on.

I would use the overheads if I was fishing off the boats but I only fish for snapper once the wind kicks up quite alot, over running the overhead would happen quite often as I have to cast extremely aggressively to make distance to reach the spots I need too.

In my experience casting an overhead into strong wing is only a problem when fishing fairly light. I use overheads for all my medium to heavy LB bait fishing and cast quite aggressively using an off the ground cast.

I personally don't use any magged reels, but many people are raving about the new Penn Squall reels, the smallest two having magnetic cast control which can help prevent overruns. I am planning on buying the 25N size for my new mulloway reel, but it's not a mag version (although the British version is).

At the end of the day though you need to fish with what you're comfortable with, so if you're looking at baitrunners then I second Underpants on the Slammer.

attachicon.gif10574210_712352148802310_6842028851046583905_n.jpg

a distance casting reel. I use an Okuma Axeon II 80 but its overkill. I'm wishing I got the 60 size. casts a mile, has good drag, smooth comfy handle and plenty of line capacity. comes with a spare spool. around 100 then you have money to buy different braids or a mono if u fish off rocks often.

Just out of interest what rod have you got there?

Definitely go for 10ft+ for casting distance. All depends on the setup, what you're comfortable with and how you use it. I suck at casting distance so am stuffed anyway.

Bear in mind, depending on where your are fishing it doesnt need to go to the horizon either.

Certain rigring will cast better, ie 'pulley rigs'.

Another issue with LB snapper (again depending on where you are fishing) is any shore breakers. A longer rod (and tall holder) can help keep the line high and out of the shore breakers where the line gets knocked arond and is more likley to collect any mobilised weed. i have heard of folks using 14ft LB metro, for precisely this reason.

I have a 12ft tica surf rod but for lb snaps its too long to use especially on jettys or rocks. I don't fish big surf for snapper so I don't need the height to keep the line out of the surf. I use a simple paternoster rig single hook 2-3oz snapper lead. The distance cast reel casts almost as far on the 8ft rod to the 12ft. Maybe 10 meters shorter but far enough.