Useful Fishing Log app

Hello all,

Thought I'd share this new smartphone fishing log app I've been trying out.

If you're like me you want to keep good records of your catches to hopefully improve your success in the future. But I often find it difficult to try and take good notes while fishing as I'd rather be, well, fishing. It can also be difficult to remember all the details afterwards.

Having a look around I found this app, Fishin Mobile, which combines not only a comprehensive yet easy to use fishing log function (which can assign a gps location to your catches, add photos, audio notes and many other useful information), but also offers features like solunar tables, gps navigation aids, weather, tides(although not locally yet) and several others.

It seems like a fairly new app, they are still adding to it. It does not currently support tide charts in our location or have a comprehensive list of local species in the log function, but I have been in contact with the creators and they inform me that many of these issues will be addressed in the coming weeks.

The best thing is that it's free, so if you download it and don't like it then no dramas. They do ask you to create an account using an email address, but I haven't had any issues with that.

I have to apologise, I think I was too eager and gave this app a premature reccomendation.

After entering a few catches with photos, audio notes and GPS coordinates I found that when I looked back at those catches the photos and audio notes were seemingly not there, eventhough they had been saved along with the initial log. Also, the GPS coordinates when saving a log were displayed as lat/long, but when looking back at those logs it had simply assigned the name of the nearest suburb and the lat/long coordinates where not there.

Unfortunately this app promised a lot but has been able to deliver.

I am trialling a new fishing log app that looks promising, I'll post more if this one actually works. :)

It is a great idea! I'm all for that strategy of finding the variables that influence the fishes feeding habits.

There is a lot to be gained from knowing what makes them tick!

Not sure I'd like to share all my hard earned knowledge with every man and his dog though :)

You need to bring out your own mate! Based on everything that could be improved on in this 1. I'd definitely pay good money for an ap that does what that one claims it does!!

I was thinking of designing 1 for prawn trawling that factors in all the variables with survey results we get at the start of trips, to workout where the best places are to be on each day... Exactly what it takes our skipper +_ 3/12 fishing days to workout....

But then I'd just be making it easier for our competition out there!

It definitely all isn't random and luck like most people think!!

The new one I'm trying out looks the goods. ATM I have the free version which only lets you save 5 log entries, but the upgrade to the full version is like $3 and I reckon I'll be going for that soon. It allows you to share your catch logs with other app users, but you can also disable that option. It's very simple to use and allows you to add photos, use GPS or simply touch on the map to mark your catches and the logs are fully editable so you can enter the important info immediately and add more detail later on. It's also Australian specific so it's got all our species (full version). It's called "The Australian Fishing App".

• 1 month later...

The new one I'm trying out looks the goods. ATM I have the free version which only lets you save 5 log entries, but the upgrade to the full version is like $3 and I reckon I'll be going for that soon. It allows you to share your catch logs with other app users, but you can also disable that option. It's very simple to use and allows you to add photos, use GPS or simply touch on the map to mark your catches and the logs are fully editable so you can enter the important info immediately and add more detail later on. It's also Australian specific so it's got all our species (full version). It's called "The Australian Fishing App".

After trialling the above app for a couple months I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an easy to use fishing log app. I upgraded to the full version and it does everything I want. The only thing it might be missing is that there are no freshwater species in the database, only marine fish, but you can manually enter the name of a fish when creating a log, so not a huge deal.