Rod for YFW/flathead etc land based

Time to get a new rod/reel as the gear I have is probably a little too heavy for the smaller stuff and to be honest as I've improved ...cough cough...I've actually started to notice this.

Mainly for summer YFW, flathead, tommies and gar, squid. Am I better off dividing this two different rods?

All land based.

Not looking to spend BIG $. I was thinking 1-3kg rod but unsure what length. Plueger Trion Spin? Symetre 1000 or 2500? That's about my budget and even then I'm probably eating caviar with that quality!

Can i suggest if your are fishing primarily landbased investing in a loner rod? say around the 7'6-8ft mark.... Better casting soft tip for feeling bites etc....

daiwa air edge do a 7'6 1-3kg, also daiwa seabass do an 8ft 1-3 kg rod... certainly a nice rod and good price tooo 

I have a Trion 2-4kg and a 2500 excellor i use.... But i only use cheap stuff for YFW as i usually wade out to the sand bar and fish both sides of it and it always gets a good dunking lol

Guilty of that. Nothing better than picking up the rod for next use and having a crunchy reel! Probably why I'm reluctant with reel choice. Though I've got better at pulling them apart.

I could go the Symetre, but maybe something cheaper like a Sienna would do the trick and accommodate my occasional gravel rash and sand skiing?

Seems to be a lot of choice out there...to be honest I've got no idea. Something nicer than what I've got but able to cop a dunk. I haven't looked at the Daiwa reels, how do you find the Excellor in terms of ending up in the water every now and then?

Guilty of that. Nothing better than picking up the rod for next use and having a crunchy reel! Probably why I'm reluctant with reel choice. Though I've got better at pulling them apart.

I could go the Symetre, but maybe something cheaper like a Sienna would do the trick and accommodate my occasional gravel rash and sand skiing?

Seems to be a lot of choice out there...to be honest I've got no idea. Something nicer than what I've got but able to cop a dunk. I haven't looked at the Daiwa reels, how do you find the Excellor in terms of ending up in the water every now and then?

There really isn't any small reel that is going to cope with being dunked and not serviced afterwards. In my experience the mid level Shimano stuff like Siennas and Symetres (my favourite) are better value than simarly priced Daiwas.

One trick I've used for a long time is filling the entire body of spinning reels with boat trailer wheel bearing grease. If the reel does take a dunk it doesn't allow much water in and sand almost never gets in. If the reel stays under water for more than a few moments you will still need to strip it down and give it a clean, but for splashes and quick dunks it works well.

After a minor dunking a good rinse with fresh water on your garden hose's mist setting is a good idea. Even better is using a product like Salt Away mixed with water in a spray bottle.

As far as rods, for chasing YFW with bait I love my Dynamix Estuary rod from Ray and Annes. For working lures and squid jigs I like a more fast action rod like a Daiwa Seabass.

Most of my gear is at the cheaper end of the market and 75% of my fishing is landbased targeting the species you've listed, and a few others. The two lighter setups I use are Shimano Bream Dynamix 2-4kg with a Shimano Sedona 1500, and a Berkley Venom Death Adder 2-4kg with a Shimano Sienna 1000. I rate both of these rods, and the reels are more than capable of coping with the fish you've listed. I'm not sure if you can still get the Bream Dynamix (R&As). I picked up the Death Adder second hand from a site member and would highly recommend it. ;) 

the 8 ft Shimano Catana is a great rod for the money,i've caught everything from YF whiting to 3lb salmon on it and handled both....i won;t say with ease though because they do lack enough power to lift a salmon of that size up a jetty etc but it great for smaller stuff.

cheers nereus

I had a similar question earlier this year - I ended up with a Shimano Catana and Sienna combo from tackle world for around $90. I think the rod is a bit heavier 3-5kg i think and the reel is 2500 but came spooled with powerpro braid as well.

I love the thing and hope to go targetting flatties this year myself

There are a lot of new daiwa's that look realy good. All the xul-l AGS eyes.

The airedges seem best value for money. They've got even better ones in japan....

Ive been looking for some new outfits myself. Pitty all the ones that suit my needs are harendoudly expensive!

All the best daiwa's for casting seem to be there 2?!

Or Europe. All the old daiwa are an absolute bargain now though!!

For around $100 outfit, I've seen plenty 500-2000 reels with up to 6 ball bearings for around $50 and the presso 1-4lbs for around the same. That would be my budget pick. Wish you got the AGS presso over here!! Wish it was abit cheaper 2! Looks awesome!!

image.jpg

You can analyse this one til the cows come home.......

Neverthless you'd need to conder what base/bases you desire to cover with the particular outfit; LB, lure, bait ect.

I do nearly all of my flattie & yfw wading so go for 6.6/7ft stuff. As others have suggested, longer for pure LB would be much better.

I have a 1-4kg Jewel with an old Sienna 2500. Recently striped and lubed, still going strong. It has landed plenty of yfw on bait, tommies & st on lure and a few flatties on sp & pillies.

Generlly dont get out much and prefer to fish occasionally, choosing amenable conditions to use my 1-3kg Fireblade & Symetre 1000 for extra fun!

Both rods I've found with AGS guides after half a day of searching online... All the best spec gear seems to be anywhere but here??

They got a air edge distance casting rod in the range, but it's 5 times the price, and in other countries only... Do we just get the left overs or something?? I've done so much research into some of the most international award winning gear, and almost none of it is sold here! Maybe I just don't know where to look? 90% is in Asia and the rest I can't translate the hyroglyphics everything is written in to know where in the world it is.... Europe, Russia, ... Think we need more competitions over here! More teams, tournaments... It's getting beyond a joke!

Or everyone will just end up buying all their gear from overseas, and there will be no sponsors at all! All the local guys will end up going out of business. Seems like that to me anyway.

Its a pity, I used to just go into my nearest tackle shop and blindly choose out of what was there at the time... Till recently, trying to find a picture of a couple reels I was undecided on, and saw that they were, like 6-7 years old... And the most commen, probably lowest specs in the range... I hadn't even seen 1/100th of what was out there. I know there is huge money in American bass fishing, european carp, barbel, coarse fishing, asian scene with their bream, snakehead....... But c'mon! We seem to be a joke in the tournament scene.

Doesn't make it any easier for our guys when we not keeping up with technologies, and concepts that are standard over there!

Definitely need to start making our own mark on the international scene! Or end up getting left behind. I would much prefer supporting my local tackle shops than sending our dollars to Japan, England,America and the rest of Europe! Just end up making them even more successful and Us less. But what do you do?? Put your blinkers on and pretend the rest don't exist? Something definitely needs to change in that department!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, plenty to choose from...

Ended up getting a 7'6" Diawa Air Edge and Aird 2000 (comes with 1500 spool as well). Probably a good thing as I can use it to run some braid and quickly changeover when I turn it into a birds nest. Not what I originally had my eye on, but its a case of $ and what is in stock as well (also what sizes are there). I was going to get the cheaper Shimano reels but this one felt so nice and light I couldn't go past it. Don't think I could go wrong with any of the suggestions, all were an improvement on what I had.

Now to give it a work out!

I was thinking if getting the sir edge myself. It looks like the only rod with the air guide system (AGS) for under $300-400 out there. Let me know how it go's mate, and if the casting lives up to all the hype from I-cast awards. There's so much choice, I can't choose :) Gona have to get two of each I think. Didn't realise you could change spool size on reels eitha!

That's realy good to know! Make sure when you wind your braid on, not to let the braid come off the side of the spool ( u probrably already know this) I put a screwdriver through the hole, put a rag against it. And get my wife to hold it, so the braid spool turns and feeds it off. That's where a lot of people go wrong with getting the braid all twisted before they even go fishing.

I use an extra swivel on a split ring, to the swivel of my sinker, and another at the top where I attach my leader. That also helps.

Flick baits seem to cause a fair bit of twisting too if you wind them too fast. I don't have any twist problems anymore after finding the things that were causing mine. The last 1 I know of, don't know y, but over full spool normally causes air knots until you've lost enough braid for it to stop.

I use either daiwa generation black (I have two of them) 1.5-3kg or 2-4kg, depending where im going fishing. OR I use my daiwa seabass 8ft 3-6kg, both are really nice rods and definitely recommend them. The seabass sounds over geared at 3-6kg, but due to its length its really sensitive in the tip and wont scull drag them back lol.

Shimano mexican fire raider II snapper 762
5-8kg line rating, 15-45g cast weight 7'6 long
Plenty of strength in the rod to handle any double headers of large fish, lovely light tip to feel even the smallest of bites decent cast weight range for casting, amazing distance casting and only $99.
At the moment is my go to rod for a wide range of activities including squidding, float fishing for tommies and gar, flicking plastics for salmon and flathead as well as bait fishing for most of the medium sized beach species.

Largest fish I've tackled on mine is a 10kg eagle ray

http://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/rods/raider-ii-mexican-fire-3109116.html

i run 5lb braid on my stradic ci4+ and am keen on getting a certate and running something like 2lb on it! Have u guys seen the new certate ltd? Absolutely gorgeous!

Does look good, i just prefer the shallower spools for casting distance. Does anyone know if the spools are interchangeable? Ie. Can you just swap a deep spool for shallow spool on the daiwa's? I was looking at this reel, but can't find it anywhere... It's abit big for what I want, but I'd make do for around $150.

image.jpg