MY new cooking system!

So a spur of the moment thinking while I was bored at work see me buy this Hark Patio Gas smoker......

Cant wait to test it out!! Its seasoning as we speak ready to be used on the weekend!!

So if you have any ideas or recipes send it over and im sure I will give them a try!

10540772_887893971229268_7259390589342125006_n.jpg

Hahaha yeh they were good mate ;) 

Nah ive always wanted one.... I love me Smoked chicken wings and there so hard to find at butchers these days so i thought stuff it why not hahha

Cant wait to make different things, smoked apple pies, smoky tomato sauce and bbq..... 

Chicken beef pork you name it ill give it a crack!

Pastrami is easy.... Buy corned silverside or corned beef from the Supermarket and coat liberally in cracked black peppercorns and crushed coriander seeds.  Leave overnight and then smoke for 8 hours or so.

I also do the same with pickled pork instead of beef.  Another simple recipe is just to smoke the pickled pork without the coating.

You need good quality meat from sows.  The best place to buy good quality pork at a good price is from the asian butcher on Henley Beach Road.  The last lot I bought earlier this year was about 5 or 6 dollars a kilo for whole shoulder and then butcher it yourself.  Or buy pork belly... all reasonably priced if you are prepared to butcher into suitable sizes for your needs.

http://www.asiangroceryadelaide.com.au/

BBQ sauce:

• Smoke whole tomatoes, cool & pass tru a tomato mill ( one of those Italian things that removes all skin & seeds).
  • mix  3:1 with a good worcestershire (i make my own which is pretty easy too)
  • add smoked chipotles to taste (mexican smoked jalapeno), or use your own smoked chillis
  • simmer on low heat untill desired consistancy is reached.
  • bottle as you would for jams, chutney ect.

Awesome for pizza topping, marinating & basting on the char grill :wub: .

I also do a smokey tomato sauce by smoking all the tomatoes to start with (could probably cut the onions in 1/2 and smoke them too!), using a pretty standard recipie.

I dont skin the tomatoes or peel the onion or garlic to start with, as i run it all thru the tomato mill before botling:

6 kg tomatoes

1 kg onions

1/2 head garlic

900g sugar

500 ml cider vinegar

25g salt

1 tbs whole cloves

1 tbs whole allspice

1 tbs pepper corns

1 teaspoon chilli powder

Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped onions and garlic, sugar, cayenne pepper and boil for 1 hour.

Add the vinegar and boil until thick for about 1.5 hours. Bottle.

G'day

Nice looking efforts guys.  I'm also fairly new to smoking, only bought a hark gas smoker last year.  After smoking a couple of batches of tuna I came across a couple of problems doing the largeish tuna steaks.  First getting the fish up to safe eating/storage temperature and second some parts becoming very dry (still ok and good for some uses)

Then a flash of inspiration.  As I was already vacuum packing the smoked tuna I could use the sous vide method (in hot water at a set temp for a set time) to finish off the tuna.  The last couple of batches I brined, then smoked for 20-30mins then sous vide.  It turned out beautiful, nice smoky salty flavour and nice and moist.

I think this combo of cooking could be good for other stuff as well?

Cheers

Rod

That bacon cure was given to me from my local butcher for showing him how to use his GPS. :)

I now use this recipe below.  I leave out the pink salt as the bacon gets consumed pretty quick.  seal it all up in a vacpac or ziploc bag in the cure and place in the fridge.

MAPLE-CURED SMOKED BACON

This recipe is for a sweeter bacon. There should be some sugar or sweetness to balance the salt, but if you prefer a more savory taste, omit the maple syrup. If you like black pepper, add it to the cure. Seasonings can vary infinitely, but it is the curing and the smoke that make bacon one of the greatest flavors on earth.

THE CURE

2 ounces/50 grams kosher salt (about 1⁄4 cup)

2 teaspoons/12 grams pink salt

1⁄4 cup/50 grams maple sugar or packed dark brown sugar

1⁄4 cup/60 milliliters maple syrup

One 5-pound/2.25-kilogram slab pork belly, skin on

1. Combine the salt, pink salt, and sugar in a bowl and mix so that the ingredients are evenlydistributed. Add the syrup and stir to combine.
  2. Rub the cure mixture over the entire surface of the belly. Place skin side down in a 2-gallonZiploc bag or a nonreactive container just slightly bigger than the meat. (The pork will release water into the salt mixture, creating a brine; it’s important that the meat keep in contact with this liquid throughout the curing process.)
  3. Refrigerate, turning the belly and redistributing the cure every other day, for 7 days, until themeat is firm to the touch.
  4. Remove the belly from the cure, rinse it thoroughly, and pat it dry. Place it on a rack set over abaking sheet tray and dry in the refrigerator, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours.
  5. Hot-smoke the pork belly to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F./65 degrees C., about 3 hours. Let cool slightly, and when the belly is cool enough to handle but still warm, cut the skin off by sliding a sharp knife between the fat and the skin, leaving as much fat on the bacon as possible. (Discard the skin or cut it into pieces and save to add to soups, stews or beans, as you would a smoked ham hock.)
  6. Let the bacon cool, then wrap in plastic and refrigerate or freeze it until ready to use.

Yield: 4 pounds/2 kilograms smoked slab bacon

A slab of pork belly should have equal proportions of meat and fat.

To cure bacon, the salts, sugars, and spices are mixed and spread all over the meat. The bacon can be cured in a pan or in a 2-gallon Ziploc bag.

• 4 weeks later...

So here is whats in the smoker today.......

Pretty basic just been in brine of water, brown sugar and salt for 8 hours.

The rub is basic (chicken salt,pepper, BBQ seasoning) peanut oil so it sticks 

10913598_911063015579030_50135480_n (1).jpg

10933217_911062992245699_1109959848_n.jpg

Its halfway through smoking at the moment will put a pic up once finished! 

sprinkle a bit of brown surar on a few Banga ;)

mate ive had mine for awhile pizzas are great also ;)

Mates got a heap of Tuna bellys fins ect for me to smoke they are the best thing ive ever done and ive done a few different things lol

caught 40 tommys the other week butterfied them and done like ur wings salt water brown sugar but sprinkled  them with lemmon pepper sesoning delish mate ;) me and my nephew ate them all after a few froffys ;)B)

those wings ur doing will be pretty tasty too B)

20141215_170838.jpg