Carp hooks and bait

I use Owner Mutu circle hooks size 4 or 6.

Circles almost guarantee a lip hooked fish, and when loaded with corn, bread or tiger worms, they always hook themselves.

Fish a light leader with very low drag or an open bail arm, when they run, strike.

If fishing light, I recommend a landing net.

Be prepared with an assortment of bait as mentioned above, if they don't bite on one they will on another.

i used to always just use size ten long shanks and had good success but as mentioned size 4 or 6 circles are brilliant and i pretty much only use those now. anything will work really but with carp you tend to let them have a run so just clicking the bailarm over and letting the circle do its thing is pretty deadly, you dont miss many unless your bread ball is covering your hook point and you just pull the whole thing out of its mouth, Bread, corn or worms pretty much all ive ever used

Hook size also comes down to line breaking strain too. If you're fishing light, a thinner gauge hook might be best, as you don't need to strike as hard (Unless you use circles) I have found if you go too small though, when I had crystal clear conditions, the smaller hooks come right out their mouth sometimes when you strike without piercing anything. The fish doesn't even notice... I wouldn't go smaller than size 4. If you fish heavy and with a lot of drag, you might srrIghten or snap size 4's though.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I am a bit confused by hook sizing, I purchased an assorted pack of DFS hooks here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125-DFS-Octopus-SPORT-CIRCLE-FISHING-HOOK-chemical-sharp-1-0-2-0-3-0-4-0-5-0-/141306342676?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item20e683ad14

Upon arrival looks like they are pretty big  - should I be looking at #4 instead of 4/0 size hooks for carp ?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what size hooks you guys use when chasing carp? Also, what bait do you use and how do you present it on the hook? A couple of photos would be very handy.

Thanks guys

This set up will catch you Carp, unfortunately ;) . Owner Mutu size 4 light circle hook with a small running sinker to the hook.

DFD20618-882C-4795-A9BE-1F51EAA5CE97_zps

Good luck.

J hook? Is that just a conventional ol' straight shank, straight eye - so looks like a 'J'?

How does one attach a 'boilie'?

Yep, that's a J hook

Boilies are buoyant, long tag is left on the hook trace

They are drilled I think & attached to the tag end

with a sequin or something to hold it there

Trace is weighed down with tungsten putty or similar

so boilie is just above the bottom with hook directly under it

... think that's how it goes 

Boilies are buoyant, long tag is left on the hook trace

They are drilled I think & attached to the tag end

with a sequin or something to hold it there

Trace is weighed down with tungsten putty or similar

so boilie is just above the bottom with hook directly under it

... think that's how it goes 

Ah that makes sense then. I know the pommies swear  by the practice but still sounds rather techical for the humble carp.

I run hair rigs all the time boys, and I make my own boilies at home, or I buy them when therye available... they work great in the torrens for big carp! in the murray ive found hair rigs pretty average though, needs to be dead still water I recon... I also run pva bags when I want to get real fancy ahah. 

To run hair-rigs, you need the specialty rigs and boilies stoppers, which are little plastic tabs that you insert into the hair rig loop to stop the boilie sliding off.. also need a boilie needle, to put them on... hope this makes sense! ive got photos on my photo of my rigs and baits.

cheers.

I run hair rigs all the time boys, and I make my own boilies at home, or I buy them when therye available... they work great in the torrens for big carp! in the murray ive found hair rigs pretty average though, needs to be dead still water I recon... I also run pva bags when I want to get real fancy ahah. 

To run hair-rigs, you need the specialty rigs and boilies stoppers, which are little plastic tabs that you insert into the hair rig loop to stop the boilie sliding off.. also need a boilie needle, to put them on... hope this makes sense! ive got photos on my photo of my rigs and baits.

cheers.

Sounds like you an interesting new topic there. Enlighten us all!

Yeah there good, I've got about 30 bollies left atm, there garlic and hemp! haven't used them yet, pretty keen to give them a crack though!! PVA bags are a plastic type material bag that you drop your whole rig into, fill it with all sorts of dry berley, tie the bag off and throw it in... they dissolve in about 30seconds and leaves your hook/bait covered in a big pile of berley, so when the mud marlins come through the chomp down everything including your rig.

Underpants - what do you want to know mate?

Cheers.

• 3 months later...