2015 Saltiga and Twinpower

I think they will have to release a new model pretty quick as I believe Alan Hawk's review really hurt their sales and the stella's reputation

Yes it certainly as hurt the stella. Serves them right for dropping quality and at the same time increasing the price.

My brother's friend just got sucked in by a retailer and spent $1300 on a stella 18000swb. I didn't have the heart to tell him that they're not the quality they once were and he'd paid way too much for the reel.

Its unfortunate that the manufacturers of these reels mentioned above wont improve the bail roller issues by going away from bearings and using bronze bushes, as there isn't a bearing strong enough in design to cater for the stresses  involved in using 80lb braid and fishing the reel to its capabilities, I have a Saltiga 6500 exp and its getting patched up again.  for a reel of that price tag I thought I was getting something that was rock solid but alas I was wrong its now on its third set at 4 yrs old. We need someone to keep these guys honest  congrats to Alan H

Cheers SF   

ASD 14

Im not taking anything away from these reels Im just saying that if they want to improve them there is always areas that need to looked at when you pay top dollar for a reel you expect they can deliver what they claim. I have three saltigas  two spin and one o/h because I wanted to buy reels that would last, just want any future purchasers to be aware of these issues , and for the fact I have not bothered with upgrading the drag washers because I don't thing the reel body in particular the foot will handle it  will handle anymore than 30 kg of stress put thru it. Just my two cents worth

cheers SF   

Its unfortunate that the manufacturers of these reels mentioned above wont improve the bail roller issues by going away from bearings and using bronze bushes, as there isn't a bearing strong enough in design to cater for the stresses  involved in using 80lb braid and fishing the reel to its capabilities, I have a Saltiga 6500 exp and its getting patched up again.  for a reel of that price tag I thought I was getting something that was rock solid but alas I was wrong its now on its third set at 4 yrs old. We need someone to keep these guys honest  congrats to Alan H

Cheers SF   

Well said Stealthy. The bail roller bearing issue is an annoying problem for the stellas and saltigas. The grinding sound a damaged roller bearing makes is almost unbearable given these reels cost around $1,300.

I don't personally own a saltiga (yet), but ive got mates with a few of them and they have never had any issues what so ever... they use it for tuna trolling, jigging for sambos and kingies too!

If these reels are fished hard as the manufacturers claim they can be i.e. say upwards of 16 kilos of drag, 80 to 120 pound braid then unfortuantely the roller bearings won't last too long.

This doesn't prevent the reel from working under heavy load but the damaged bearing does become noisy which gets annoying from such as expensive reel.

Stealthy is absolutely right in that there isn't a bearing that can take the serious punishment  stellas and saltigas are supposedly capable of dishing out to fish.

Drags fished with perhaps 10 kilos or less probably won't hurt the roller bearing but whats the point of buying a saltiga expedition or large stella just to fish a light drag.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys so who's getting the new 2015 Saltiga??! I think It's about 3-4 weeks away from hitting our tackle shops.

Looks pretty good  I must admit although at first I didn't like it, looked like a Certate and the Ballistic with that spool design.

Still really enjoying my z4500 s-extreme so might not even bother.

Also they bringing the 3500h to the line up which is nice.

But hey the new Twinpower looks absolutely amazing with their new "Hagane" concept I really like it! I think this one will sell like hotcakes for sure.

Hey guys so who's getting the new 2015 Saltiga??! I think It's about 3-4 weeks away from hitting our tackle shops.

Looks pretty good  I must admit although at first I didn't like it, looked like a Certate and the Ballistic with that spool design.

But hey the new Twinpower looks absolutely amazing with their new "Hagane" concept I really like it! I think this one will sell like hotcakes for sure.

"Hagane" in Japanese means "Fullmetal".  Marketing ploy.  But same body/rotor/gear layout as the 14 Stella and thicker drive gear than the 11 Twinpower,  Still a good reel, as the Twinpower range has always been.

Hi Nikhum,

Got my eye on the new 3500 for sure bud, got a mint 3500 game with matching rod but also have a 62s that I need a reel for so may grab one .Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about getting a twin power. All reels have small issues. My mate owns nothing but saltiga's. While they have been great there is an issue with mag seals leaking. The guy he gets to service his reels says it happens with almost all of them and when he tears them down they are usually dry inside, no grease left.

I have a Catalina but haven't had an issue myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about getting a twin power. All reels have small issues. My mate owns nothing but saltiga's. While they have been great there is an issue with mag seals leaking. The guy he gets to service his reels says it happens with almost all of them and when he tears them down they are usually dry inside, no grease left.

I have a Catalina but haven't had an issue myself.

Mate that is not good news is it. Hope this new 2015 series had all the bugs ironed out.

Nikhum -

Cheers mate, yeah they're a nice piece of gear I must say, its my first saltiga and im really curious to try out this new "automatic tournament drag" system... The reel is getting paired up with the new daiwa saltist extreme rod, its 6'6" and pe2-4. Will be perfect for snapper and small pelagics.

Cheers.