Crispy skinned red curry - St Vincent Gulf Snapper

Well yesterday when I was floating around in the middle of the gulf without any food on the boat my mind was thinking about food 99% of the time and fishing 1 % of the time. I caught a nice rugger and visualized it turning into a delicious crispy skinned Thai dish. I almost had to turn the bilge pump on I was salivating so much.  Anyways I looked up a few recipes which were all confusing and normally required loads of different ingredients.  So here is my simple Crispy skinned red curry - Free range snapper.

Ingredients - See photo

-  Valcom authentic Thai red curry paste

- 1 lime

- 1 Red onion

- 1 Tomato

- Packet of coriander

- Chilli flakes

- 1 can of coconut milk

- 1 Small snapper  ( You can leave head and tail on if you desire )

- Plain flour.

Method

- Chop onion into slices and tomato into rough cubes and fry in a small saucepan until onion is lightly brown.  Once the onion is brown add the tin of coconut and about half the jar of red curry paste. ( More or less dependant on your taste.) Squeeze half a lime and then let simmer while you attend to the fish. ( That is the sauce done. )

- Slice the fish down its side three times ( evenly spaced for appearance sake :) . Put some flour into a dish and press the fish onto the flour covering both sides evenly.

- Place oil in a frying pan to the level that you would normally do when shallow frying.  To check oil temp put a cube of bread into the oil, if it browns in 10 seconds its ready.

- Add your fish to the hot oil and cook for about 4 minutes on each side. I like to spoon some hot oil into the gut cavity to ensure it cooks properly.

Presentation

Once the fish is cooked place it onto a plate that has a bit of depth. You will be adding sauce so you don't want a flat plate.  Pour your sauce and place the cooked onion and tomato evenly over the fish.   Chop your coriander and chilli and sprinkle it over the top stand back and admire hell even call your wife over and get her to pat you on the back

Eating

Put a napkin over your shirt, get a cold beer and devour it in front of the cricket.

IMG_9059 (Medium).JPG

IMG_9064 (Medium).JPG

IMG_9065 (Medium).JPG

IMG_9066 (Medium).JPG

When you start talking curries, you are speaka my language.

Gotta tell you mate, I don't eat the fish I catch, though I did have a nice snapper fillet last night in a lemon pepper breadcrumb mix.

Was bloody yummy, but after reading your recipe, I'm gonna give it a stab on the rest of the snapper I have.

You're making me hungry just thinking about it.