Do leave a swivel on your line between sessions?

Hi All,

Just wondering how people manage their reel / line between session - I was thinking of buying a small swivel that can fit through the smallest eye on my rod so that I don't have to cut the line after each session.

Does anyone else do this, or is the amount of line you lose by cutting after each session negligible compared to the potential weakness introduced by having an extra breaking point in the line?

i either cut the line or if i can manage it i put the swivel on using a perfection loop so that it can be removed without cutting the line -just leave the loop there for next time.

i've had a small swivel that fitted through the eyes once or twice and it was a pain as I often seemed to wind it in too far and have to pull line out from the top to get it ready to cast.

I don't bother with a swivel as I run braid-leader-lure a lot. At the end of my line I use either a size 0 egi-snap or a size 0 mustard fast-attach that I can just clip my terminal tackle onto. That passes through my smallest guide and means I can rig up and ready and swap between different lures and rigs very quickly.

One major thing to watch out for is that if you are too rough getting it through your guide, such as retrieving too far by accident you could chip your guide and it will start slicing your line off, which will put the rod out out action till you can replace it.

Mostly shore fishing so I tend to swap and change rigs alot to suit, I run a swivel and snap on the line so I can quckly change rigs which have a swivel as well. I use the snap that has the single opening and can be spun 180 degrees. When done I use the snap to clip onto the guide bracket. 

I haven't noticed any draw back from running this setup but interested if anyone else has pros/cons with this.

I run similar... Braid with a fluro leader then a snap swivel tied to the end.. Only time that gets replaced is when i decided my leader is stuffed and tie a new leader/swivel on. Then i tie up rigs if bait fishing and just clip them on/off as i please.

P.S. i use the black magic rolling swivels... not those rubbish gold brass things that bend the second they hit the water.... :lol:

Is there any problem with attaching a hook directly to a snap swivel ? What I am thinking is:

1) attach a small snap to the end of my mono-line so that when I pack up my rods I don't have to cut the line

2) When I go squidding, I'll just attach the jig directly

3) When I go carping I'll attach the hook straight to the snap

Hi All,

Just wondering how people manage their reel / line between session - I was thinking of buying a small swivel that can fit through the smallest eye on my rod so that I don't have to cut the line after each session.

Does anyone else do this, or is the amount of line you lose by cutting after each session negligible compared to the potential weakness introduced by having an extra breaking point in the line?

Definitely don't want to be running swivels through your guides, however small.

What are you fishing for???

Better off using a short length of mono/fluro... tie a loop knot at the end to clip onto the swivel... then tie the hook to the other end.. the bonus is you can have a running sinker between the hook and the swivel if you need it.

Basically the same setup I use for bait and lure applications.

Usually run 1-1.2m of flouro from the swivel to the hook for bait, slightly longer for lures.

Never run your swivels through the eyelets.

Small snap swivels in black are best, and swivels reduce line twist in the braid mainline.