Penn Live Liner

Hi guys,

I've got the old Penn 4600LL, the USA built one's and I've toyed with the idea of selling it and getting a new shimano thunnus baitrunner, so I had a quick look on ebay to see what they are going for and there going for $220 & $320!! Please see links below...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENN-LIVE-LINER-4600L-USA-MADE-FISHING-REEL-tuna-snapper-gummies-kingfish-/151556575886?pt=AU_Accessories_Tackle&hash=item234979d28e

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENN-LIVE-LINER-4600L-MADE-IN-USA-/201281758424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2edd53e4d8

These are going for more than the brand new penn spinfisher bait runner??? is this due to the new ones being built in Taiwan and not being as good or something? Mines in very good condition and if the old ones are sort after, I might just hang onto it.. whats everyones though.

Cheers in advance.

The new Spinfisher V's are not built in Tawain but China. I haven't used the new ones but have the older LL based on the Slammer and have a few of the USA built Penn Live Liners. Most notable difference with the USA LL is you have to manually engage the main drag (some may like that) but that's about it, The gears (cheap pot metal) and drag are the same.

I know of two BNIB USA built LLs for sale here in Adelaide for about $250 in a tackle store that have been there for years. I think it just comes down to a USA V China thing. imo i'd rather buy a new Slammer LL for $80 than the USA model but each to their own.

No worries cheers for that cleaver, so it seems the USA built ones are worth abit more... I guess they would be better made than a china equivalent! Might just keep it in then :)

I don't think they are actually better made as far as the USA LL's go. I think the Yanks just have an affinity with Penn as it was a US icon  As i said the Chinese Slammer Live Liners you can buy for $80 do the same job imo.

Basically something is only worth as much as somebody wants to pay for it. Sometimes a difference in price is only based on a perception of a difference in quality, which may be valid or not.

I have been a Penn guy for my entire fishing career. I own several USA made Penn reels and a few of the newer Chinese made models. I have not noticed any decrease in build quality or performance, but of course the with newer models I can't speak to their longevity. I don't have any experience with their live liners as personally I've never cared for that style of reel.

If you really like the reel then I say keep it, but if you can sell it for good money and be able to replace it with something of similar quality and have extra cash left over (for more fishing gear of course) that's got to be tempting.

I'm thinking of doing near the opposite, lol

Thinking of selling my aged Shimano 3500 & 4500 Baitrunners -

as I don't think they're up to running braid, with their bail rollers

I have the Chinese Penn Slammer 560L Live liner, tho' only used once

I like it, & want to get the 760L also

Also keen to get a USA Penn 4200 L&R handed (the smallest) 

Nah not really mate, it is going to go on my second snapper rod so I can fish two rods at once... my thoughts were; throw out a 5/0 circle with a whole slab of squid on there, put the rod in the rodholder, flick the baitrunner lever and sit back and relax... :P  then my good snapper rod/reel, I will hold and feel bites as usual.

Cheers.

I have 3 baitrunner D, a 4000, 6000 and 8000. I lost the 4000 on the beach though. I find they are good reels. I also have a 4000 Thunnus and it is a different feeling reel altogether. Much smoother to wind. The drags are all carbotex so they feel equally as smooth. I had an Okuma Epix 2500 size that seized up and now have a little Salina 2 which is a nicer, more robust reel than the epix. Had a Daiwa baitrunner that I gave away. It was a flexxy, horrible little monster.

Nah not really mate, it is going to go on my second snapper rod so I can fish two rods at once... my thoughts were; throw out a 5/0 circle with a whole slab of squid on there, put the rod in the rodholder, flick the baitrunner lever and sit back and relax... :P  then my good snapper rod/reel, I will hold and feel bites as usual.

Cheers.

If fishing with circles, set the main drag to fighting and forget the baitrunner drag. The fish will hook itself.