Overhead surf rod options

There are heaps of great overhead surf rods, but unfortunately none of them are for sale in Australia. Many people import rods from the UK, South Africa and USA, but this is expensive. IMO there are almost no overhead surf rods commercially available here that will effectively cast a heavier sinker in the 6oz range and a good size bait, which is exactly what most people want when fishing places like Salt Creek for sharks and mullies.

I have a few US models and one rod that I got here in Australia from ebay. It was very inexpensive and I bought it without much faith in it's ability. It has turned out to be a pretty good rod, able to throw 6oz and a whole squid head well. I have not caught anything big on it, but a fellow forum member Cal has the same rod and told me he has. It's a Saratoga Predator 13' and I believe the shop was called Tacklemania.

maybe custom is the way to go?

I've thought the same thing, but they're aren't any good blanks readily available either.

The Predator rod is a powerful caster and seems like it will handle big fish, and mine was under $40 shipped to my door.

You could also check out the Australian Surfcasting Federation, there are quite a number of members in the Adelaide area and they are a good source of knowledge concerning rods from the UK and South Africa and they also import them from time to time.

Here's another couple rods that look interesting, thinking about contacting them, would want an option to return the rod if I didn't like it or it didn't cast the advertised weight.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Seriola-Sea-First-Light-Carbon-Surf-and-Rock-rods-overhead-Fuji-SiC-guides-seat-/261565135651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&var=&hash=item3ce67f3b23