TUNA / KINGFISH SPIN ROD

Gday Boys,

As the title suggests, im looking at getting a dedicated Tuna / kingfish spin rod setup...It will be used trolling for tuna at victor, livebaiting kingies at augusta,, some light jigging for sambos etc etc What is everyone using/recommend??

I'm thinking at this stage getting a Daiwa Saltist Extreme pe5/6 rod with a Daiwa Catalina 5000 reel running 50lb braid.

Do you think this setup an overkill for tuna? but perfect for kingies? cheers :)

PE2-4 would be perfect for most Tuna given the clean fight (PE2-4 can be anything from 30 to 50/60lb depending on the braid). I generally use a PE3 rod/30lb braid or occasionally 40-50lb braid on a PE4 rod (PE4 Catalina rod with 4500 catalina reel). Just want a bit of lifting power for when they circle under the boat but can always drive the boat off them a bit to make them easier to get up. Get the other one for kingies.

generally the breaking strength of line will be a bit higher than the PE rating

PE rating refers to the diameter of the line not breaking strength.

Better quality braids generally are thinner for any given breaking strength

EG. PE2 = line diameter of .235mm

YGK PE2 (diameter of .235) has a breaking strength of 30lb.

PE4 is .330mm which is generally around 50lb (my PE4 catalina rod is fished with 50lb braid)

The Japanese went to PE ratings so it is easy to grab any spool and know instantly how much line will fill if rather than having so much variance between brands of braid and diameters (i.e. spool will take 300m of PE2 or .235mm line)

Ideally you could fish 100lb braid on any rod and if your drag is set correctly for the rod it should not break as the drag will give first (highsticking any rod is the normal cause of rod failure bar damage to blank or car doors - this is user error and will happen even with the correct breaking strain line)

Gday Boys,

As the title suggests, im looking at getting a dedicated Tuna / kingfish spin rod setup...It will be used trolling for tuna at victor, livebaiting kingies at augusta,, some light jigging for sambos etc etc What is everyone using/recommend??

I'm thinking at this stage getting a Daiwa Saltist Extreme pe5/6 rod with a Daiwa Catalina 5000 reel running 50lb braid.

Do you think this setup an overkill for tuna? but perfect for kingies? cheers :)

Going back to your original choice like you say probably a bit overkill for tuna but that's not saying it can't be used.  Any extra lifting power is sometimes handy when a half decent one starts circling under the boat (though the boat should be driven off to change the angle to one better suited).

That rod (PE5-6) is probably just a tad heavy for 50lb but still very workable (PE5 would be about spot on even thought it is slightly overrated for 50lb as for kingies I'd rather a bit extra than a bit less)

As far as kingies go generally you should be looking at a setup to handle either 50 or 80lb line. 

That being said consider drag should be set 1/3 of the line (albeit you may need to clamp a hand on the spool at times but this can be instantly released if needed).  1/3 of 50lb is around 16lb and 1/3 of 80lb is 26lb.

Get an 80lb set up and tie it to a set of scales hooked to the base of the clothes line and see what you can pull the scales to. - bet you'd be battling to pull anywhere near 26lb drag on the 80lb.

what does that mean - 50lb should be adequate in most situations (unless your in real rough territory) and a decent wind on leader will protect you at the fish end.

bungplug -

No worries mate, cheers for that! Yeah been looking around at different set up's lately and I might get a PE6/8 rod, 6500 catalina/saltiga and some PE6, kingies fight very hard and dirty I've been told and unless I go to a setup more like this, il just get smoked.

Plus it will handle any tuna barrels that I might get one day.

Cheers.

Not a bad choice to go a bit heavier than needed on the Tuna. Nothing worse than prolonging the fight beyond what's necessary and increases the probability of getting sharked. I use a Saltiga deep 55 rod with an 8000 sized shimano for tuna trolling and bottom bouncing/jigging for Kings and Sambo's and find it suitable, so good choice with the demon blood 6/8.

• 1 month later...

Gday Boys,

Hi Mate.  Did you get your combo sorted yet?.  Some great info on this thread already and thought id offer my experience.

I personally use a Saltiga Expedition 5500 Spin reel for both the tuna and kings.  Have it matched with a old model Saltiga 50lb rod (Spartan) with 50lb Saltiga casting braid and a 60lb wind on leader.  It pulls most tuna under 25kg up pretty quick and the 23kg king I got at Port Augusta was at the side of the boat in under 5 minutes.    Im changing rod this season, as the skull dragging style isn't really my thing.  

If you are in the area, i usually have it at the shop when I'm not fishing and you're welcome to see the action of that outfit.  Aways good to get comparisons.  I personally am thinking of buying one of those Saltist Extreme PE 3/4 rods, or maybe a Penn Amarda Powercurve Rod, as both of these rods have lots of action and I think they will be better suited to the type of fishing i do.

Anyway, hope it helps, >>> James

Fishing Wholesalers

Open 7 Days

200 Dyson Rd

Lonsdale

Ph 8382 7382

Hi James,

Thanks for your input mate! I still haven't sorted out a combo for tuna & kingies yet, as I am like you and don't like skull dragging fish in. Im still making my mind up on which way to go as ive just bought the daiwa saltist extreme pe2-4 rod paired with the new 2015 daiwa saltiga 4000 reel (my snapper weapon). Its a wonderful combo and that's why im keen on getting another one similar, but may go for the PE5/6 stick as the action didn't seem too stiff when I played with it last.

I don't live anywhere near Lonsdale, but I may come past one weekend anyway and have a look mate.

Cheers, Alex.

• 8 months later...

I just put together a tuna/kingie combo for casting poppers, stickbaits and bigger metal lures. The reel is a Fin Nor Lethal 100 and for the rod I chose an Ugly Stik Bluewater 7' 15-24kg. A tough rod with a softer glass tip but plenty of grunt down low, plus Fuji heavy duty reel seat and alconite guides with a SiC tip. Best thing is the price. ;)