So, we're taking delivery of our new car later this week, and want to take it for a good run somewhere this long weekend. I'm looking for some suggestions for where to go.

My wife likes the idea of just going for a drive, experiencing the outdoors, etc., but I'm all about the fishing! Within 2-3 hours of Adelaide, where would you go for a good day or three?

I won't be taking the boat, so land-based only, and dog-friendly would be good. Do I go north or south? Freshwater or salt?

edit: I'm leaning towards the Victor Harbour area, but I don't know much about fishing down there.

Goolwa has some great surf fishing and if you are planning on doing an overnight trip and you have  4x4 salt crek is definitely a good option. Goolwa has proved pretty successful for me of late, just pick a gutter, get some berley out and use a paternosta rig with some twin snooded 7/0 circles and saury as bait 

I would say Yorke Penninsula.

Ardrossan has been getiing good reports lately, and from Price down to Edithburgh there is good fishing.

Drop into the Edithburgh tackle shop and he will point you in the right direction.

Or you can choose Moonta, or Wallaroo, that's if the jetty is open.

Marion Bay is worth a stay as well, the sky is the limit on Yorkes.

Easy 2 hour drive on good roads too, at least until Pt Wakefield.

And while you are over there, drop into the Minlaton Bakery, absolutely stunning pies.....