Breaking improved blood knot - suggestions

Been having a spate of broken improved blood knots at the hook. Never had the problem with 10/16lb lines but seems to happen a lot on 6lb which I have started using. Both mono and fluoro, though the fluoro seems to be a little better. I lubricate the knot with a bit of spit and do 6+ twists.

This is always my usual knot as it used to work and I never needed an alternative.......

I'm using a Daiichi Long shank size 12, they don't have the welded eye.

Should I be snelling the hook or using a different knot?

Cheers.

The 6lb trace material might be at fault if you had no problems with 10lb I would also look at were the knot is breaking i have had hooks in the past with sharp edges on the end of the eyelet turn that were breaking off 10lb leader line or try other knots. I have used a straight locked blood knot for years on swivels & diiachi hooks without a problem maybe that could be a better knot for the leader material you are using. Trying to snell sz12 hooks needs a lot of dexterity in the old finger tips  :lol:

try the palomar knot. the igfa say yr after yr that its the strongest and most reliable knot. Ive never had the knot fail and use it for everything except loops.

its the easiest way to tie a hook on too imho. I use daiichi #12 long with 6 or 8lb too for garys, its easier to pass the tag end thru and back than doubled over.

I'm "Not (no pun intended!) sure what the difference is between a standard and improved Blood Knot, though..." either , I guess its the same as improved clinch knot no?

Snells aren't very strong knots in my experience! If I need my hook snelled (which is only when I use 2 hooks) the first hook, I tie a uni knot, then another on a short length, then I snell the line going to second hook with seperate, thinner piece of line to the shank of the first.

I don't find them necessary though anyway. Good for livies for second hook leeder to stay close to the bait, but for dead baits, or cut baits...

I just see it as a hindrance! You can't thread you're bait on, if you get a fish with teeth, it's more likely to damage you're knot and bust you off, and I can't complain with my hookup rate with tying strait to the eye.

Each to their own, but I realy think its weaker than the alternative, and very unnecessary.

A good strength test is to tie a snell on one hook, with about 30cm of line, tie a hook to the eye with you're normal knot (uni in my case)

Hook 1 hook to an immovable object, and the other to a broomstick, or anything else easy to hold that the hook can go around, and pull till one breaks. I'll bet the snell go's first every time ;)

theres a series of ten or so of these knot wars;

I've had the trilene knot slip with big yfw and their head shaking even after landing several before, and being careful to pull the knot up tight and leave 2-3mm tag. I use mono or flouro, can't comment on braid it [the tri knot] might be better. I'm not a fan of the snell either, the knot bramkin just posted is the only way I know to snell a knot and have had the same probs of it unravelling with head shaking, even with tommies. Like I said before, never had the palomar fail., and it's easier and quicker than the others to tie.

Yeah, I haven't used it, or tried it myself yet, I've been searching online for a graph of % of strength of all fishing knots....

So much crap out there!! Just depends which site you look at :) all those five knots (apparently) are 100% strength... It did seem a little hard to believe! As I used to have a book in South Africa that had all the old knots and %. And the only 100% was a Bimini double, and obviously, only for doubles. Some sites I went on say the uni knot is better than the palomar knot, because they only test it with gradual increased tension, and under shock conditions (like head shakes or striking) it's nowhere near the strength of the uni knot....

Maybe strength is the wrong word.. He says it slips.

The polomar knot on a few sites, they claim is between 92-95% strength. But to my knowlage, so is a uni knot (or there abouts)

I tie mine different, I make 2-3 loops around mainline,coming towards the hook, then through the loops with tail, and I've actualy found with above 6lb, 2 wraps is stronger than 3+? Dunno y, but it seems to b.

I can see why they claim these are stronger, because it's doubled, but you stil have a knot, then single the other side....

I can't see it being any stronger than uni knot myself. All I know is, snell definitely isn't the strongest on hooks I've used! I've tried 4 different ways too.

Uni or blood knot I think it is, 5 times round, through the bottom by the eye, back through loop you made by doing so. Prefer uni cos the tail lies against dropper line.

Tried 3lb nano strait, most knots slip. Had to use 7+ wraps on uni knot, think it would still prob slip.

Same with 1lb fire line, so that nanofil knot is probably gona get a test run soon:)

Yes theres much conflicting info,an old adage my dad taught me is this....dont know lots of knots and be OK at tying them,just learn a couple of knots and tie them well.

The main  two being the locked blood knot and uni knot,and for droppers the figure of 8 loop and the  blood / dropper,all knots that once learned well ,you can be that familiar with them and competent ,you can tie them on the beach in a howling gale,using the moonlight whatever.

Another interesting knot that is easy and wont let you down is this one,san diego jam,easy and strong.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots

Well said mate :) I thaught my knots were good till old underpants hassled me enough about that FG knot long enough to make me test it out and I had to eat my words 😋 I'm very impressed with it! Takes abit of practice with realy thin braid to not cut through the leeder when pulling it up tight, and you can't do it too easily standing in the water, but it's a dead set winner! Thin to thick, thin to thin, tiny knot, definately 100%+ strength and casts perfectly! So I think I've Goda try a few more of these new 1's to keep with the times 😊