The tight arse fisherman !

All of us fisherman and in particular boat fisherman know that fishing is getting more expensive with the price of fuel, bait, launching fees, ice etc all stacking up when we go for a fish. The cost as well as time constraints are often factors that stop people from taking their boat out. This thread is for people to post ideas that they have come up with to reduce the cost of fishing.   This could be where you get your cheap bait from, how you make your own ice, bait collection etc.

Look forward to seeing some ideas.

Digging for bloodworms gives you one of the best baits out for catching bream.

Keep worms alive by changing seawater daily, or preserve when live in metho which tenses them up before they freeze.

Too many bait and tackle shops sell bloodworms that are only frozen, not preserved which turn to mush when they thaw.

If you dig for tubeworms and wish to preserve, salting up the live worms seems to keep them in better condition.

Buy a bait pump and pump nippers for bream and whiting, only use fresh as they are delicate little buggers and don't freeze well.

If freshwater fishing in the Murray, buy a couple of shrimp pots and use soap or dried dog food to get the best bait for callop.

Dried dog food in yabby nets also works dynamite, and attracts baby carp which I freeze and use for bait on mullies and strips for salmon. Also have caught squid on whole baby carp twice now, but I don't target squid, so am by no means any expert on them.

And corn is a hell of a lot cheaper than tiger worms, and garden dug earth worms outfish bought tigers any day.

Wood grubs can be found in rotting pine logs in most SA Forestries forests, and 75cm scrub worms can also be dug in the moist valleys.

Who says you need to buy bait?

I'm a bit pedantic about my ice slurry.

1.25 coke bottles full of fresh frozen water for ice. "emergency water supply"

2L coke full frozen sea water for deep chill in fish slurry

frames, crab shells & prawn shells minced up & Chicken pellets into burley logs to fit berley pot

I need to stop being so tight & refreezing bait all the time

Would like to go halves in big block  IQF & small squid!

if u have a tucker box it becomes alot cheaper i use everything nothing gets wasted..i mainly fish for table fish no need for snapper as i use dynamic lifter in my garden lol ;) (jokes)

only bait i buy is gents as i get my own cockles

whiting and garfish frames become crab bait all shit fish also become crab bait

crab shells guts ect become whiting berly

squid heads also crab bait and candles and flaps whiting bait

every year i go bloodworming and get a years suppy of them for KGs and YFW

i have a small ice machine and also freeze up 2lt water bottles ice for esky

so gents $5 ramp fees $7 and $20 fuel  go out and chase crabs squid whiting and garfish mostly and even if u dont catch anything its a cheap day

even if ya mates think the boat runs on thanks lol ;)

As others have mentioned, chook pellets from local fodder store.

2 * 1.5litre water bottles frozen for use in esky with salt water, chills down effectively & doesn't dilute the salt water.

We have a small chest freezer dedicated to storage of bait & burley so:

Squid, tubes get eaten, heads & wings (if not used for food) go into the bait, guts into burley

Any Tommies that don't make it to the plate or the smoker go into the bait bag.

Guts, frames, heads, minced and into burley bag.

Any bait not used goes into the burley bag, chopped up fine, mixed with Tuna oil and frozen into logs to fit the burley pot.

I keep a tub of chook pellets soaking in Tuna oil, great Gar burley.

Household loose change goes into a pot and pays for Cockles & Gents and sometimes rammp fees.

By the time we go away for a week or so at Stansbury, all we have to buy is fuel. :)

As much as I love squid to eat, my dedicated fortnightly squidding sessions are just as much about bait collection. Heads for snapper and wings sliced up and packed in little glad bags for whiting etc. I am happy to take a few smaller tommies home too as snapper bait. These beat store bought pillies every day of the week. I have a small standing freezer (cost 50 bucks second hand) dedicated to ice, bait and berley. The dedicated freezer is worth every cent, especially compared to the trouble I used to get in when a slow freezing squid head leaked a bit of ink into the wife's pastry...

I should get back to freezing berley blocks. Good reminder blokes.

I do pump nippers when I can find them - hands down the best YFW bait. Just harder to locate.

My advice is to simply never buy bait. It's often poor quality, not matched to what your target is feeding on and expensive! I buy gents occasionally and a bit of tune oil to go in stale bread berley...

a cheaper 1 piece rod just might have a nicer action than a dearer 2 or more piece

save all smaller scales from gar, tommies, etc., mix in your berley - shimmer as they disperse

adds sight attractant, as well as scent

Yep, I am big on 1 piece rods as well.

'Hassan's' deli/takeaway on 4th Avenue, Klemzig has 14kg bags of ice (6 bucks) for those impromptu sessions when you haven't got the ice cream container or milk carton ice ready. 

Great thread

As mentioned already- bait comes from fishing sessions, burley comes from fishing sessions plus pellets from fodder store,

Ice from 2 + 3litr containers in bait freezer

lures and tackle always try to buy when on special and in bulk. in particular favourite squid jags bought 6 last time on special at $10.00 ea, normally $19 ea

Joined a boating club with 24 hr acces to ramp, water and lights and secure car parking,  no more 9.00 oclock shut off water, lights and limited access (12hr for 12 bucks :censored: ) went out 35 times last year :D

Do all my own servicing, with help from others as well, Buy oil when on sale, spark plugs from a mate at motor store and recently filters, impellors and parts from all over the place

If i cant do it myself I learn how.... You tube...amazing what you can learn

Tightarse plus..... :headbang: ......

• 2 months later...