Hello all

Wondering if anyone can help me at all.

Im heading to the Vic high country for a 4wd trip next week and over easter

and I'm looking to chuck a rod in and have a bit of a flick.

Im thinking of bringing my bream rod and some lures

but honestly i have no idea where i should start?

I don't have many lures so would like to purchase some specific

Guess trout would be the main species? what else would be in those streams?

thanks

Luke

Mate where about's are you going?? I always head over to the highcountry, I just got back last week from another big trip up there! Did a lot of hunting, 4wdín and also caught some trout, its such nice country up there, your going to love it!

Depends where you going/fishing, but there is a lot of big carp as well as trout, I was walking along a river flicking some broken back rapalas and I saw 10-12 carp in the 5-7kg range... they didn't even look at the lure unfortunately! Could be worth bringing a small can of corn along for the walk. I've got a few mates that live up there and they swear by worms and crickets.

Cheers.

Spent some time in Vic and my first trout trip was to Dargo.   Camped on a flat just out of town (other side if coming from Bairnsdale) and caught a little brown on the very first cast.  Had a follow from a huge fish (I was wading and the lure was about a metre in front of me when the beast appeared from nowhere)  Tried to raise him again but no go.   Was also visited by an inquisitive platypus.  Easy camping - easy access.

Fantastic country - you'll have a blast regardless of your fishing success.  Good luck

Tis a beautiful part of Australia (pity the Vics claim the fame tho :(). Walked & ridden parts but never fished.

To go back to your orginal issue re lures.  I'll happily admit to knowing SFA 'bout trout but suggest some spinners (celtas/mepps) and some lil hardboddies. Some of those Rapalas look sexy.

Suprised no one has suggested something there?

Might add 'The River Somewhere' lads did another ep on 'The Cobungra', out Omeo way.

As underpants suggested;

Lure wise id bring a handful of different celtas & Mepps spinners, try and get some with a "flasher or skirt", these seem to get more hits. Also get some rapala broken back lures, id suggest a F7 or F9 in brown trout pattern. Also id bring some very small hooks and 4lb fluro and float down some crickets (catch these there, tons of em on the banks).. depends where you go fishing, but be prepared to loose some gear.

Cheers.