Stand or sit (steering a boat)

Might seem a daft question to most but I'm just curious.Do you sit or stand.?Do you feel more in control standing or sitting??Best to sit or stand in rough conditions?Questions like this often come to me,such as..If there are catteries why are there no doggeries???I've not even started drinking yet :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

I always sit under the canopy when under power to avoid the spray.. but yesterday cruising around largs bay I felt more comfortable standing without canopy.. but..... I can't stand under my canopy :icon_e_biggrin: :icon_e_biggrin:

I've the opposite prob.I wanted a tall canopy ,had some flashy rocket launchers added to the frame.Trouble is I can't bl@@dy reach them to put rods in as they are too tall!! .hissy. .hissy.

Nice Pic of ya boat Ranger

Ta bloke! Ya can see I had the chief of the SWAT team on board, in addition to our overhead aerial support and spotter for a dawn Bream raid we'd been working on for quite some time! I'm also happy to say quite a few Bream were apprehended during this operation without a single casualty to our team!Now lock and load gentlemen, coz operation saltwater is on again tomorrow! We move out at first light! :police:

Nice Pic of ya boat Ranger

Ta bloke! Ya can see I had the chief of the SWAT team on board, in addition to our overhead aerial support and spotter for a dawn Bream raid we'd been working on for quite some time! I'm also happy to say quite a few Bream were apprehended during this operation without a single casualty to our team!Now lock and load gentlemen, coz operation saltwater is on again tomorrow! We move out at first light! :police:
Just thinking about yer boat pic - how did you get that shot???Good luck for tomoorw :fishing: :fishing:

On the plane I always sit, I need a backrest with 225hp behind me. In approach channels and off the plane I usually stand to get best visabilty, you never know when some idiot will decide to swim in the channel! When using the outboard, (8hp Mariner) for trolling, 4-6 knots I usually stand up or sit on the transome so that I can reach the outboard more easily.RogerG

There are many boaters who stand and rely on their steering wheel for support. If a boat is accelerating up to planing speed and a 90-110 kg bloke is hanging off the wheel it is going to put an awful strain on the steering gear. It is better to have a small grab rail on the dash to hang on to or sit.RogerG

Brooksey, I could tell ya the story about hiring the spotter plane to find the schools of fish for me (just like the pro's do) and I could also tell ya about my mate who flies the rescue chopper, but at the end of the day, it was simply Big Ian standing on the Torrens Island Bridge with his flash camera!Big Ian and Grumpy volunteered their time to be starting marshalls at the last Bream Classic. As soon as the boats had departed, they jumped into the car to do the dash to the bridge and get some prime photos of the boats going under!Gotta admit too, he takes good photos!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi being fairly new at this boating game when at trolling or low speed but when i open the throttle up i stand just for safety ,really dont want to hit anything or anyone also i find that by standing i get a better feel for the way the boat trims and can adjust accordingly till i rekon i got it right cheers crispy :boat:

• 1 month later...

A nice set up just the same and looks comfy.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: Looks might be deceiving mate!Definately NOT comfortable! It's a lil tin boat which bounces over waves, is frequently airborne, ya cop a faceful of spray, are completely exposed to the elements, ya freeze in winter and cook in summer.......but it's VERY practical and versatile!Ya have to be a little bit crazy to own a centre console down in this climate, but it's a great fishing platform, and definately a BOYS toy! It'd have to be a special boat to make me consider gettin rid of my Quinnie! ;)
  • 4 months later...