Salmon from boat

Hi guys,

As the title suggest, im just curious on what people think is the best methods to catching aussie salmon from a boat?? As you all know the salmon run isn't tooo far away now, and this year I want to chase them off a boat instead of land based for a change.

I thought about launching at encounter bay and cruising around the back of west island towards waitpinga beach and anchor up, burley hard and bake some metals or poppers around from the boat. However, is this more of a hit and miss method?? or are you better to just troll some hardbodies down deep and keep going until you hook up??

Cheers boys :)

Salmon from a boat is excellent fun.  Just make sure you have a reliable motor, always have someone watching for approaching waves, have your anchor ready to go and don't get to confident.   I usually only do it when there is an offshore breeze so that I get blown out rather than in if something happens to the motor.

Cheers

Seagypsy - Yeah ive been warned about this style of fishing, can get dangerous quick! well im getting a brand new Yamaha 150 4banga, so reliability shouldn't (touch wood) be an issue, but having someone driving or watching the boat full time would def be a smart move!

Do you use popper, or metals mate? cheers.

Cheers underpants, yeah I haven't done much work with poppers yet, but im pretty keen to! What's the go for salmon?? 70mm / 90mm in pilchard or something?

Ive done mostly wading so its been a matter of what i can realisically work with my light outfit, limiting me to around 45mm. Ive caught them up to around 40cm this way.

70/90mm should be fine but depending on what sort of outfit/action/tip you are using, i dont see why you couldnt go bigger and 'weed out' the bigger specimens. They can be super greedy and i could easily believe a 20cm ST landed on a 90mm popper!

When they are 'on' they coudnt care less what colour but go mad for the surface splash & bubbles. I do like something a bit 'shiny' to to sparkle in the water a bit. Putting yourself in the fish's perspective, they are basically looking up at the dark profile against the sky and see all the bubbles & splashes coming from behind.

Hardest part is getting the conditions right to work them properly so i regulalry put metals forward over poppers.

When the water is calmer and they are in the mood, poppers are awesome fun.....the bow waves of the approching attack, boiling surface & multiple surface strikes. It's a rush.

Then they are thck, go to single hooks. Even just 1 on the back.

Mrfish - what skirts are they mate do you know?? yeah I usually use metals or hardbodies.. but do you think stationary fishing with the use of berley is the go? or trolling? cheers.

The ones Ive seen them use are the plastic squid heads in white (so they dont sink).

We've got them on tuna skirts too so almost anything will get their attention.

We have caught them on sour snakes before too after soft plastics were ripped up after several double hookups.

Good fun.

150 Four Stroke Yamaha is the exact motor I was using lol.  Good decision they are a sensational motor.  I use stick baits, metal divers, metal slugs pretty much anything shinny.   Salmon aren't fussy.   I have good success with the gold bombers that they use for barramundi as well.  Ill take a photo of some today and upload it.

post-11093-0-89860400-1420672692.jpg

Youcanahandafishabetterspanner. Yeah, I've heard of some weird and whacky things used to catch fish, like a coke can cut up and trolled like a skirt for tuna (didn't work as it fell apart, but looked the goods) and minti wrappers on hooks used to catch nannies etc. An old timer up the coast in NSW when I was a kid used old spark plugs with a treble attached to spin for tailor. Had an old split cane rod and an equally ancient Alvey reel, and could catch fish!

Almost feel a "what's the strangest thing you've caught a fish on" thread coming.