GLISS fishing line

Apologise if there has been a thread on this,but this new line coming out of Germany has created  big interest in europe,its a single strand line that handles like braid incredibly thin with no stretch,looks like mono, apparently they are only just keeping up with demand.

Dont confuse it with that ghastly Nanofil  stuff,this is another thing altogether.Interesting. Long term it may turn out to be total garbage, type it in on Google and there is heaps on it,looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my spool,havent used it yet but a quick rundown on first impressions ......1...6kg  looks to me about as thin as 2 kilo braid,2...tested it out in a break test with braid of the same strength...snapped at least the same if not higher,3... bit more wirey than your traditional type braids,3...... knots extremely well with the recommended knots that are illustrated on the packaging, and also the albright with the line doubled [whatever its name is] 4....very sharp feeling,would slice through your finger easy ... Time will tell with long term use ,love the feel of this stuff, in fact everyone that has had a look are very impressed . B)

• 2 months later...

G"day Aquatic research1,I have used the line for redfin ,carp and salmon trout ,and have to say this as my honest assesment.

Its very good line,doesnt wind knot,casts well ,fishes nice but.....it doesnt really seem to have any advantages over a good quality braid,not for one second does it have any  characteristics of mono,although it  is one fibre as opposed to braids several fibres fused together,it behaves just like a braid.

Its good  for sure, but not revolutionary.

Cheers B)

But what about the price Cal? From the publications I looked at they were saying "Its almost just like braid. Only 10 times cheaper to make."

I'm sure everyone here would think a braid substitute at a fraction of the cost would be revolutionary :-)

Just looked on ebay and the prices don't look all that great, especially when compared to US braid prices. If it's heaps cheaper to make it doesn't seem like they're passing those savings on to us.

Have you tested the abrasion resistance Cal?

Would be interested to know if it's more abrasion resistant than standard braid. A superline with the abrasion resistance of mono, now that would be revolutionary.

I can't imagine it would have better abrasion resistance than a braid of equivalent strength. One "fibre" and thinner would wear through quickly wouldn't it? Although if it is of equiv diameter it might be more abrasion resistant.

I would be surprised if it was considerably more abrasion resistant than standard braid. My thinking was that because it's a single fibre and fairly slick that it was a possibility.

The problem with braid, and even fused lines, is that the individual little fibres are not very tough by themsleves and as soon as one is compromised the entire braid loses it's integrity.

I can't imagine it's even close to mono or fluorocarbon, it's amazing sometimes how much of a beating that stuff can take before it breaks.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Poor abrasion resistance, very thin diameter, frays over time and need to cut it back every few sessions. Can compensate by going heavier. Overall not bad if you can get it for a cheap price.

Pretty much in a nutshell, but   most braids will damage  and fray if used around structure making checking the last couple of metres  a regular thing, this should be done anyway as a matter of course ,only difference is beacause they are multi strand they still hold some integrity even if some of the outer fibres shred.Gliss seems to  pinch  and form a weakspot that can snap a bit easier. Its not all bad though, casts well and pretty good for general fishing.

• 2 years later...

Follow up on Gliss. I've still got it on 1 reel. Abrasion resistance got really bad over time to the point of constant breakages.

It looks like most people have found the same and it is going really cheap.

WFT Gliss Hybrid Line 150m Yellow Bulk - DINGA Online — DINGA Fishing

At $3 a spool I am still giving it a miss.