fishing lodge and trip advice.

Hey guys and girls.

Im looking for advice from fellow members on places that do accomodation and fishing with a guide to take my missus on that doesnt break the bank. As a huge fan of mark bergs fishing addiction. Every time i see them out at a resort like clearwater island lodge I get jealous. Looked at this as an option but for around 3000-4000 a person i think ill pass. Anyone been on something like this at a resonable price.

Thanks

They're all extremely pricey mate. That's OK if you've got a high annual income and cash to burn but otherwise I don't think it's worth it.

Thought about going on a couple live aboard GT charters but the cost in my opinion just isn't worth what you'll likely catch as all sport fishing charters tend to extremely exaggerate how good the fishing is on a standard day.

Quality sport fish are often very fickle.

Another option:

Get a few mates together, do a charter & rent a shack. Be it Yorkes, KI, Eyre,  West Coast or even Cape Jervis; where ever you want

Some operators will bundle their own accommodation in with the deal.

Cant think of any names other than i know Reel Action out of Marion Bay do such.

A mate of mine's done a couple of stay-on-board Nomad charters and recons it was s**t hot. Tho around $10k is kinda way beyond my budget :P.

http://nomadsportfishing.com.au/wordpress/

When my dad was learning sailing the cheapest option for him was buying a boat up in Queensland and doing a shakedown cruise around the Whitsundays Islands.

He wasn't fishing but if you want to get into long distance cruising the boats tend to be a bit cheaper with more variety up there.

And then he had the nerve to trailer it home (28' trailer sailor) and say it wasn't a holiday because it was having to test the boat out!

Charter boats can be expensive because of the all regulation around them, insurance, needing a commercial ticketed captain, marketing, profit, etc, etc. Can still be cheaper than owning and operating your own boat though!

There is another option, finding a cruising pleasure boater wanting to visit the area and doing a cost sharing arrangement. Private boats can't sell their services without being under survey but they can take passengers on board with just splitting running and maintenance costs. Just need to pull your weight around the boat when you go. My dad has been looking at doing this to help subsidies his trips out and give him a crew to go with places my Mum won't!

Or find a group, hire some gear and do a remote camping/boating trip splitting costs. Not quite the comfort of the resort getaways but if you can supply some of your own gear can be more cost effective.