Noisy new Stradic FJ 2500

Hi All,

Tonight I decided to splurge a bit on a decent reel and got the Stradic FJ2500 on special at BCF.

Upon opening and giving it a few cranks at home, I noticed it is not as smooth as I was expecting and the internal gears make more noise than my Sienna's did when they were new.

I'm not sure is this is something to be concerned about, or if it just needs a bit of oil as it's probably been sitting on a  shelf for a while.

Anyone own one of these reels and notice they are a touch noisy (maybe due to more complex internal gearing than my Sienna?) as well ?

Nothing worse than buying a new piece of gear ,all excited and it does"nt meet your expectations.

Once bought a Saltiga Surf reel thats drag was sticky ,terrible in fact,had to get specially fitted drag washers to make it decent[not good enough for a reel that price]

Another time bought home a new Live Fibre rod,loaded it not even half way to show a mate how nice the action was, and it exploded into 2 pieces, lesson learnt.

Always pays with reels to actually get the salesperson to take the one you are actually buying out the box for you,and then thourorghly test it out and make sure you are completely sastified,nothing worse than getting home and finding a reel is stiffer/noisier than the one off the display rack that impressed you.

It happens.

All the best with it. B)

Take it back. Probably a dodgy assembly at the factory. Happens.

Should feel smooth & sweet out of the box, as you would expect for a (normally) $200 reel. Mechanism will be essentially the same as the Sienna's - just better mateials, bearings, seals ect.

I've a 2500 Sienna , over 5 years old,  been dunked plenty of times, still going strong :) (has been stripped & lubed a few times tho).

I've got an older Stradic 4000 that's about 3-4 year old and has always been a little noisier and feels 'less smooth' to my 1 year old (and slightly cheaper) Saros 4000.  Both have been good reels ($200 mark) and I haven't had issues with either - just the Stradic isn't as smooth.  Had it fully service after about a year and it came back the same so can only assume that was normal?  If you've got concerns take it back into BCF and compare it to the others on the shelf.  They're a good reel - just keep away from sand (seems to get in very easily!)

I had a Symetre 3000 that started getting very noisy, decided to dismantle it & found it was the bail roller bearing which Sport Fishing Scene had in stock.

Replaced, all quite now.

The Sienna's have a bushed bail roller & will last forever.

glengood87

BCF should replace yours. if your lucky,

I do find some braids are noisier than others too.  B)

The quality of models goes up and down.

I bought a daiwa caldia about 7 years ago. Very smooth and quiet. Awesome little reel.

Bought the latest model caldia about 6 months ago and it's not as smooth. Quality definitely dropped compared to older model.

Perhaps stradics are the same.

I'm convinced that reel manufacturers seem to deliberately increase and decrease the quality of models.

I sent my my new stradic ci4 back to shimano twice before using it, my first stradic put up with a thrashing but definitely gone down on the quality control. Got a 5000 fj myself not so long ago and needed a good packin of grease was noisy out the box

My next small spin reel will be daiwa

Don't worry Daiwa do it as well ie drop the quality of new a model compared to the older model.

I think its best to not have any brand allegiance and instead assess the quality of the particular current model before buying.

Unfortunately I didn't do that though when I bought the current model caldia.