Reel choice for a noob.

I have started to get back into fishing ocean side after a long time session up river. I have been using a few Big W grade JW rods all with reels on already, but have two rod blanks left over from my teenage years and want to finally get some use from them. So, the question is, how do I go about choosing reels for rods?

Currently I have a 12.6ft surf rated at 6-12kg line class, and a 5ft solid glass 7-15kg heavy action JW "Toronto" and another 7' spinning 7-15kg spin coming. I'm lost as to how to pick a reel, I see a lot with top rating at 20lb but nothing bigger at 30lb+, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I see a lot with top rating at 20lb but nothing bigger at 30lb+, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure what you mean by that, reels have a stated range of line capacities, basically three different line tests that work best with the size of the reel. They also list a maximum amount of drag. Which are you talking about?

Mainly Brighton I would say, the odd bit of surf or beach fishing at Henley as its where I stay. On the game rod, i would like to play around with some shark fishing or use it for snapper.

Plankton, from your description it appears it might be line capacity, as you have mentioned.

That  http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/ website is great, gives a better layout and an actual description about target species!

When choosing a reel you want something that will hold 200-300m of the line test you want to use. You don't necessarily need all that line for when a fish runs, but if you need to cut some line back while fishing you'll have plenty left. Threadline reels will also not cast very well less than 2/3 full.

I assume the surf rod is setup for threadline? If so then it's hard to go past a Penn Spinfisher or Slammer, good solid reels that should last you a lifetime. They would be a good choice for your 7' rod as well. What size reel ultimately comes down to what line test you decide to use and what sort of fishing you'll be doing. It's also nice to try a new reel on the rod and see how it feels.

Is the 5' glass rod an overhead model? If you want to play around with sharks you'll need something with much greater capacity. A Penn Senator is a good, fairly inexpensive shark reel.