First time out on a boat for snapper

Hi guys,

My brother-in-law has invited me out on a mate's boat to go snapper fishing. All my gear is from jetty and rock-fishing for the last couple of years, so I either have much lighter gear (5 and 10lb lines on 1-3 & 3-5kg rods) or a 10' rod with 20lb line, none of which I think will be useful on the boat for larger fish.

My question is: I have a Penn Battle II 4000 reel with 20lb line on my 10' rod. Would that be enough for me to throw on a shorter rod, or should I be taking a heavier line and reel with me? I also have no idea about rods for boats, what length and weight rating should I be looking at?

Thanks for any advice!

HLS

Deep or shallow water..? Structure or heavy reef involved??in the gulf or down south (cae jervis styles)..??

In our gulf i use 5-8kg 6.5ft with an oc4000 with 20lb an i use this on metre plus fish..not alot of structure an only 16.5mtrs..if in shallow water then i use 12-15lb mainline..or 30-50lb in deep water..30+ mtres..

@avidanglr1: Cheers for sharing your rod setups, it sounds like my Penn 4000 with 20lb should be okay on a shorter rod. My bro-in-law works for the Coast Guard and has been a scuba diver for 20 years, so I'm guessing he knows good deep spots and reef spots as well, but his mate with the boat lives north of the city, so I'd hazard a guess and say somewhere near Pt Wakefield...

@Fishingmad: I double checked and my 10lb 2500 reel is on a 2-4kg rod, so I'll take that with me too, cheers :)

@hoopsy: thank you mate, I'm looking forward to it a lot! I'll remember to watch the drag...

@Cleaver: sent you a PM :)