Show us your salmon lure flicking setup or dream setup

For lure flicking I run a Daiwa Aird 4000 with 20lb braid on the original version of the Shimano Shorespin 9ft 5-10kg. For baiting I use a Penn Prevail 8-12kg 12ft with either the Aird or a Shimano Stradic FJ 5000 with 30lb.

image.jpg

image.jpg

If I had a Wishlist for a salmon setup it would be one of daiwas higher end surf rods matched to a decent quality reel with a high speed retrieve ratio of 5.8 above. And run braid as well.

I have a Lateo 11' M. Has a 40g lure weight and feels like anymore would snap it. Casts further than 10'6" power tip but not a lot in it.

Probably with 20g lure would outdo it a bit more.  First fish I caught on it was a good 3kg salmon from the bluff wharf. I'm pretty sure if I tried to lift it with the rod it would've snapped even if I kept it horizontal. It's ok at Waits etc but not the most versatile rod.  A 4000 Aird seems a little small for it, the 5500 Windcast casts much better but feels a bit too big/ unbalanced. A stradic would be nice but I canna afford it at the moment. Something in between the two diawas.

Hugos 11'XH sounds better of the two models,  cheers

I looked at the 110MH and it was to soft in the tip and indicated a lure weight range of 20 - 60g from memory. The XH says up to 150g but that's way too heavy. I grabbed the XH and it seems spot on for the lure weight range mentioned above. I've also tied on an Over there 130 skipping stick bait and that went a mile. I'd have no issues with using this set up with a pillie and a 4 oz sinker so handy as a back up bait rod.

I put an emblem pro reel on it and it was too heavy, so a standard 4000 Daiwa or 6000 Shimano reel would balance fine if not using one of the compact long cast reels.

I run the Lateo 106m with a Shimano Arc Aero Ci4+. Duel hardcore x8 PE1.2. So light and can cast all day with it.

Cast weight is 40g as mentioned before. Was clearing the breakers with a 30g Duel Adagio about a month ago.

I think the cast weight is pretty much spot on.

Is great at throwing 20-30g hardbodies and plastics as well.

I just had a look at a few rods. So far I'm leaning towards the Daiwa Seabass 106M or 110MH just scared I'll snap the end off of one of those pretty quick, felt really good though.

Another option I looked at was a Penn Prevail which felt more gutsy. 10' 5-9kg or 10-15kg haven't decided yet.

It's a hard choice for me this one!

Lateo will be out of my price range I reckon but I always end up spending more than I initially planned to.

I've got two main setups. My lightweight rig is a Daiwa Seabass 9'6" paired with a Penn Slammer 260 running 10lb Fireline. It will throw a 20g lure about as far as that sort of weight will go. It's great for when the wind and surf is down. Smaller salmon will put a good bend in it and provide some fun, but I'm certain it will handle much bigger ones(unfortunately I haven't been able to test this theory yet).

My heavier setup is a Daiwa Seajigger 325M with a Slammer 360 and 14lb Fireline. It is an incredibly light and thin rod for the amount of power it produces. It will absolutely launch a 55g metal lure right out the back. It is soft enough to still make salmon in the 30cm bracket fun but it will handle almost any fish you might catch in the surf, including big mullies and snapper. When I bought it I didn't want to spend quite so much, but I'm glad I did, a brilliant beast of a rod.

I cannot recommend Daiwa surf rods enough, I have owned several over the years (one thing to be wary of though is that they seriously overrate the casting weight you can throw well).

Likewise with the Penn Slammer reels, absolutely bulletproof surf reels. They are a bit heavy but I find they balance well on longer beach rods, and they're going cheap right now.

Good luck with your decision bjorn, if you want to meet up for a fish and some test casts let me know.

I had the same reservations with the lighter Lateo's Bjorn, that's why I went for the XH. I can really rip out a full power cast with a decent sized metal, but still ping a 30g slug as well. Having that bit of extra strength helps casting into an onshore wind. Comments from other forums have also mentioned the XH is strong enough to winch fish up if fishing on a rock platform, so assume this would be fish up to a couple of kilos.

Off on a bit of a tangent. Caught most of my salmon over the last couple of years on a 1-3 kg Fireblade, Symetre 1000 & 6lb Sunline.

Something magic about fishing the surf. Finger's crossed I can get to KI this season and can workout a setup i havnt managed to use yet: 9' Allure, Symetre 4000, 15lb Powerpro.

I dont manage enough surf lure casting to imagine a deam setup but recon the Seajigger would be there.

Might add that Fireblade & Allure came from our "Buy, sell, Swap or Trade" section too :) .

I'm a traditionalist.

I lean towards a 12ft split cane rod with an Alvey side cast reel.

You can go swimming with that combo, or lay it in the sand and suds without a worry in the world.

Seriously though, very informative thread, interesting how many folks lean toward Daiwa gear.

Always been a Shimano man myself, but open to suggestions on other brands.

Good topic B2F.

Tinker,

I started off as a shimano man myself but over the years have slowly jumped ship and now 80-90% of my fishing gear is daiwa.. I personally believe the rods are of better quality and so are the reels (in the top end), shimano do make fantastic reels towards the lower end though.

But the old Holden VS Ford thing. Really don't want to start a debate ahah.

I started off as a shimano man myself but over the years have slowly jumped ship and now 80-90% of my fishing gear is daiwa.. I personally believe the rods are of better quality and so are the reels (in the top end), shimano do make fantastic reels towards the lower end though.

I agree completely, Shimano make some great little threadlines, I own 4 Symetres, and the TLDs are great reels too, but their rods are crap IMO.

I've got three.

Depends where I'm fishing, generally use the heavier setups on the WC.

10ft. Sensor Surf with a 500FJ & 20lb. Sunline Super PE.

10ft. Sea Jigger with a 4000FJ & 15lb. Super PE

& for local beaches a

10ft. 6in. Sea Jigger with a 3000 Ultegra HG running 10lb. Power Pro.

Love em all, depends on the conditions & the fish to which I use.

All older model rods.

Guess I subscribe to the Shimano rods are no good too. 

If money were no object then all my beach rods would be Zziplex or Centurys, I've had the misfortune to cast some of those rods and they're unbelievable, going back to regular rods is like flying first class then going back to coach, it still gets the job done but in the back of your mind you know how good it could be.

For salmon luring off the beach I'd probably get a Century Sling Shot 1265, but at $450 USD it's just not necessary when a rod at half or even a third the price works fine. The funny part is I'd most likely still put a $79 Slammer on it.

I've got a penn prevail 10ft 6' with stella 5000 running 20lb line. 40-50gm lures go a fair way! main one, bit of over kill with stella but might as well use the best reel I've got and it makes fishing ALOT easier!

Then my back up is a silstar crystal tip 10ft 6' with stadic fj 5000 20lb line.

Also rate the fin nor lethal 4000 with 15lb line as a good lure throwing weapon. 

hopefully get some photos on weekend as weather is turning good after the change we just had!

Lines tight!

For a dedicated beach lure casting spin outfit, particularly if your looking for distance, I'd suggest looking into using one of the long cast reels. There are quite a few compact models from Shimano and Daiwa that will suit most of the rods mentioned in this thread. For me at least they have added significant distance when casting. Saves using my standard spin reels on the beach.

• 3 weeks later...

Just purchased a Daiwa Lateo 110XH and matched it to a Shimano Ultegra 5500 reel running 20lb 832 braid. It gets out the back! 40g to 65g lures are ideal, feels like it can go either side of this weight wise, but this range is sweet.

Any chance you could weigh / know the weight of this rod Hugo?

I'm looking for something that can handle 50-70g Hardbodies.