Favourite Salmon Lures

Well, since actual fishing seems quite slow and there's not much to report, let's do the next best thing and talk about tackle.

Bjorn already started a great thread on salmon lure setups, so how about everyone shares their favourite lures. Maybe it's caught you heaps of fish or casts the furthest or is a great value, whatever the reason let's hear about it.

To start us off here's three that I really like.

First are Kamashark lures because they're a great value and cast quite well, and my favourite is this little 20g pink and gold number, works a treat when it's overcast, caught heaps of metro salmon.

20150716_190934.jpg

Next is my favourite when the wind is up and I need to cut through it, or anytime I need to cast as far as possible, the 55g fatty Stingsliver, chrome for sunny days and chartreuse/white when it's overcast. They have a roundish cross section and don't catch the wind like flatter lures, but still great action. Unfortunately not available around here, get them sent from the US.

20150716_191129.jpg

20150716_191205.jpg

Lastly a new lure I've been trying, and another from the US, the Surface Tension. These are hard plastic surface lures that actually sink slowly. Most lighter weight surface lures don't cast well and are hard to use effectively in the surf, but these cast almost as well as a metal lure. They can be worked slow to fast for different action and as long as you keep them moving they'll stay on top. The added bonus is that when allowed to sink they have a great zig zag action like a stickbait. I haven't caught anything on them yet, but I know they're gonna do well and provide heaps of fun, bigger ones could be great on tuna or kingies too! The chartreuse one is 20g (only 7.5cm) and the pink is 55g.

20150716_190752.jpg

OHHHHH my salmon lures are like my girlfriends shoe collection. But I think I have a few more lures than her shoes (just!)

Couple of my "Go To" lures lately have been

Samaki Flash 35gm - White bait colour or the blue pillie looking one with a size 4 or 5 decoy jigging hook on the back normally gets a solid hook in the corner of the mouth (easy to release) but down on the hookup ratio sometimes I find. (unless casting into a school then you can't miss!)

Caught a few 5kg salmon on these ones lately, winding my reel so fast watching the salmon break the surface trying to inhale them.

With so many different metals on the market I'm liking the Halco outcast 40 or 60gm  Although the paint work on it is a bit dodgy it does work a treat when the sea breeze picks up a bit and you can punch out your cast into the wind with not much lose of distance.

Mr IFISH man talked me into Duel Adagio 45gm heavy sinking when I saw him catch salmon on them in WA.

Not the best casting lures in the world as a hard body gets caught in the wind a bit, but I have got my personal best salmon on one of these lures weighing in at 5.8kg.
Pretty pricey and you have to add your own hooks, once again size 4 or 5 decoy jigging hooks aren't that cheap either. So bit of a buggered when you lose this $30 lure

One more that stands out in my lure box is a "barrett" lure from busted fishing, this lure slids up and down your trace line with your treble or single hook down the bottom, and when the salmon jumps out of the water it doesn't take the weight of the lure in it's lips therefore less chance of shaking the hook. These lures have an AWESOME jet bubble stream they produce and salmon can't resist having a look and smashing this lure!!

Raiders, all the different halco's with the hole in the middle of the body, twisties, red head metal lures to large soft plastics all will work! Just chop and change them as you wish to suit the conditions!

Going to throw a few lures this weekend as the weather looks unreal! so maybe I'll try a few new lures within my artillery that haven't ever touched the water!

Lines tight! 

Although I don't really have any brand preferences when it comes to metal lures for the surf, my more favoured lures tuned to be Maria Mucho Lucirs for their casting distance and profile. They aren't that expensive either depending on where you go. I also like the ones with the secondary assist hooks. The only trouble I have with them is the split rings and trebles leave a little to be desired.

image.jpg

Another of my more favoured lures is the humble Halco twisty, cheap, easy to cast, relatively good hardware.

image.jpg

Another lure that I like but haven't used a lot is the Williamson Gyro Jigs. I like how the lure spins in the water and creates bubbles. The spinning movement also helps with the flashiness. One lure that I have experimented with is the Shimano Waxwing. Although I've not caught much from the beach as it doesn't weigh as much as metals, from a boat or kayak it is a really nice lure to use and has caught me my PB.

image.jpg

Nothing to get too fancy about with salmon,the good old halco hex works as good as anything,although some cast better the sambos smash them like there is no tommorrow.

Dont know if you can still get them but juro shiners and kokoda raptors do the business and cast better than anything around these days.

I have both and will put a few pics up soon.cheers

in the surf, i cant go past the maria mucho lucirs if the fish are schooled or good ol halco twisties if im searching for fish. As for light tackle casting the daiwa double clutch and squidgy flickbaits definitely turn it on for me! landed over 150 fish yesterday at last count on those 2 lures with over 30 on the one flickbait before it was completely torn off the jighead

Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree with Cal, no need to get overly fancy when it comes to salmon lures. My main considerations are price (not much over $5), castability (the further the better) and of course the ability to catch fish (which most metal lures do well).

I do enjoy the good old Halco lures but I find they're getting a bit higher in price then I like, likewise with the Spanyid Raiders and Gillies lures, saw both in Big W going for $7, I remember them being closer to $4 not too long ago.

landed over 150 fish yesterday at last count on those 2 lures with over 30 on the one flickbait before it was completely torn off the jighead

well done, where did you find so many salmon, I can barely get a touch lately

Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree with Cal, no need to get overly fancy when it comes to salmon lures. My main considerations are price (not much over $5), castability (the further the better) and of course the ability to catch fish (which most metal lures do well).

I do enjoy the good old Halco lures but I find they're getting a bit higher in price then I like, likewise with the Spanyid Raiders and Gillies lures, saw both in Big W going for $7, I remember them being closer to $4 not too long ago.

landed over 150 fish yesterday at last count on those 2 lures with over 30 on the one flickbait before it was completely torn off the jighead

well done, where did you find so many salmon, I can barely get a touch lately

Took the boat down to the coorong, kayaker said there was a big school all around him and told us to anchor up next to him (if you are on here cheers mate, top bloke!) chucked the berley pot over the side and before we knew the sounder was absolutely chockers! gave Alexsfishin a call and him and his mate tied off to the side of us on their yak. They were smashing the flick baitds, didnt even need to cast just dropped straight down and whack!! 

Took the boat down to the coorong, kayaker said there was a big school all around him and told us to anchor up next to him (if you are on here cheers mate, top bloke!) chucked the berley pot over the side and before we knew the sounder was absolutely chockers! gave Alexsfishin a call and him and his mate tied off to the side of us on their yak. They were smashing the flick baitds, didnt even need to cast just dropped straight down and whack!! 

I had a feeling it had to be out of the boat, if you were catching salmon like that off the local beaches I'd have to start following you around. :lol:  Gotta love the Coorong!

Spanyid Raiders are my fave metals for STs.

St Kilda T&T often has them for $5.

Good things about cheap metals, is you won't hurt in the wallet if you lose one.

StrikePro Cyber vibes have also been good in the past, but you can always use cheap blades and have just as much success.

Would be awesome to have a salmon sesh in the Coorong like that.