Waders - what to buy

I'm land based and enjoy wading out but this time of year is just pushing it going in. Never had any before so no idea if they're all the same or not.

I noticed that guys that go to northern flats use them and if I ever get that way I'll use them for that, otherwise land based beach fishing.

Was in anaconda today picking up a detector and noticed the waders were reduced around 30-40%, not sure if they were decent or not.

I got mine from anaconda for beach fishing - never had waders before.

I tried on both the nylon and neoprene but found the neoprene was more uncomfortable - might be warmer as thicker than the nylon one.

I got the nylon for $39 and a size larger than normal shoe size.

So far, and I have been out for hours in the water on quite mornings and they have kept me warm and dry each time.

I wear 2 pair of socks and track suit bottoms and I can move very easily when casting and squating down.

After the first time I used them I said to my misses that the waders had already paid for themselves.

But try on both types so you get a feel to what is best for you.

Get next size to your shoes as could be easier to get them off quickly in an emergency.

I bought my first waders a few years back now, must be 3 or 4 years, the neoprene ones and are they good when it's cold. My mate bought some new ones after seeing mine, he loves his neoprene waders too.

Only thing that is a pain is getting mine off, just about rip my legs off trying to get them off but that might just be me.

I bought my first waders a few years back now, must be 3 or 4 years, the neoprene ones and are they good when it's cold. My mate bought some new ones after seeing mine, he loves his neoprene waders too.

Only thing that is a pain is getting mine off, just about rip my legs off trying to get them off but that might just be me.

No mine do that too, I believe it's because of the neoprene sticking tight to your body like a wetsuit does. However waders have the waterproof lining inside them so nothing gets in or out

I have some breathable waders that I've owned for years, brought over from the US, very comfortable but can be pricey, especially around here.

Neoprene waders are quite warm and if you want to wear them when it's not really cold out or you do a lot of walking it's easy to overheat. If you're on a budget I would advise buying nylon waders, you can always wear thermals under them when it's cold, but in warmer weather you can just wear shorts.

Breathables. All the way.

Have kept me comfortable and dry in anything down from -15 up to high-20's.

Light, easy to get on and off and can layer to whatever temperature you are comfortable underneath. I've got 'stocking foot' which means mine just has a neoprene sock on the bottom so I have a pair of full lace up wading boots with studded soles. The extra ankle support is great for long hikes out places. Plus, as their name suggests they 'breathe' so your sweat doesn't build up inside making you wet and keep you comfortable when you are spending all day hiking around in them.

Only problem with them is the price as they really start at around $150 upwards into thousands.

I have breathable thigh waders but neoprene stocking feet means extra cost of boots expensive but good in the warmer weather other wise i'm a hornes wader devotee, one pair i got i had 15 years wear out of (thigh waders) & i recommend the bludstone boot attached much harder wearing the pimpolsole boot & more grip in those slippery spots.

Would generally steer away from the Anaconda stuff.

That said i purchased a pair of their neoprene's, 40% off a while back and have just done my 3rd extended wading session and they've been dry and warm.

My first waders were a cheapish nylon brad and lasted many years untill the numerous pin-prick sized leaks became too much. I also found them wet due to perspiration and difficult to layer underneath as the hydrostatic pressure essentilly squeezed all the insulating air out of whatever i wore underneath and i got cold regardless.

Neoprene's offer their own insulation from the cold water.

Today was cold, 11-12 deg water temp http://oceancurrent.imos.org.au/Adelaide/2015071804.html

I had long john thermals and double socks underneath the Mojiko neoprene's and was nice and toasty. Dont know how long they will last tho.

When the weather warms up. Wetsuit all the way. Waders suck - a necesary evil!

Heard many folks say good thing about the Horne's waders, though don't own any myself.

I own a pair of full and thigh waders, I use the thigh waders more coz I hardly ever go too deep, and am paranoid about getting swamped in the waves in full waders again which scared the shit out of me.

I mainly wear waders when digging for worms, hiking up creeks in the hills or occasionally off the rocks.

And thigh waders in the boat are more comfy than the full waders coz you can move around more easily.

Both my waders are Shakespeare, $50 for the thighs, $80 for the full waders.

And it does get cold, especially if you have shorts underneath, will be investing in some thermal pants.

• 6 months later...