What's the worst or funniest fishing session you've had?

After reading Brankim and Alex's posts about breaking and loosing gear it got me thinking about some of the bad fishing sessions that we've all had.

What are some of the worst fishing sessions you've had or funniest?

Lost or broken gear, car and boat break downs, loosing a fish of a life time?

There should be some good stories here :)

Going arse up mid fight of fish is my most common incidents whilst fishing. Stacking it fighting a good bream in the Onk and getting covered in filthy mud from head to toe. Using bream gear off the rocks at the end of Browns Beach and stepping on the green algae crap, slippery like soap, and landing on my hip. Loooong walk back in the sand with a bruised side and ego.

Also stacked it many times in the creeks chasing trout with crappy boot treads on smooth stones.

About 3 years ago now.

Desperate for a fish and headed out solo to the end of the Outer Harbour Breakwater for a lure session. Fell over badly on that slimy green crud, literary right at the end and landing on my hand and hip. Busted the reel (Sedona FD) and and bruised my hip bone. :censored:  fun walking back to the car!

Didn't get a single touch for my efforts but managed a pretty sore hip joint  for about 3 months :(

many years ago walking along the outer harbor break water tripped fell on my kness a few weeks later same thing down victor way . think i put that old school mate off of fishing .

recently 3 times trebles into me twice in my fingers and once in my leg . Tiny bream hanging off my leg while i try and take hooks out . Driving to the QEH twice with trebles hanging off my fingers .

And this year i bought boots to wear fishing got tired off old work shoes with no soles left and slipping in mud 

And a big thank you to HBT who tried to take the first treeble out my finger . The one hanging out my leg so many people walked past not one offered a hand let alone a word of advice 

no wonder i went back to plastics . and the number of times i hit the backpack on my back when i used to fly fish for bream lol 

Forgot the time i snapped my leader swapped spools forgot to tighten the drag lost spool in the drink lol 

Getting the tiny little trebles on Bream lures stuck in your hand is always enjoyable......Managed to pin my fingers together with this lure after getting it caught on a zip while pulling it out of my back pack

10995656_10152959261410141_9149548976069

And like others in this thread, I've also been bitten by the outer harbor rocks while trekking out to the end. Misjudged a jump between rocks and manged to catch the edge of a rock with my lovely shock absorbing shins, and very nearly knocked myself out out cold with my back pack.....couldn't see for about 5-10 minutes, and could have just laid down and gone to sleep where I fell! Was about 3/4 the way to the end when I tripped, and when I could see again I just kept

going to the end :P

Still caught nothing.....pretty standard for an Outer Harbor trip LoL

10574445_10152539117335141_6822054998877

many and varied,

blew a car up on a last minute victor trip many years ago leaving in on the side of the road to come back to it vandalised the next day.

losing a 400 dollar outfit over the side to a shitty bronzy on opening day of snapper season a couple years back :/

leave a rod in the holder on a 100 meter quick move when squidding years back to turn around and its dropped out the holder...

bahaha how many do you want???

but hey the victory's are sweet to, fluffed a gaff shot on a 10 kg plus snapper  a while back with a blunt gaff, pop the line :o red flounders just long enough for another jab and ill be buggered  we pinned it! hahaha sometimes it does come together!!

remember guys the shit trips and fails are all money in the bank for the fishing god ;)

Wasn't even on my fishing session yet! So this was fairly annoying, i was getting ready at home wen I was unpackaging some new salmon lures and I was trying to cut off the zip tie off the treble that held the cardboard packaging on and I yanked it pretty hard and the treble went straight into my right index finger. Was really painful until I got the metal lure off, tried my heart to pull it out with pliers but wouldn't budge, plus pain was a fair bit while doing that, so went to the hospital got an X-ray and turns out the hook point was 2 mm into the bone so that's why I couldn't pull it out. Had to get my finger cut open either side of the hook to get the bugger out. Even then it took the docs a bit to get it out. Anyway don't like trebles much anymore, wish it was just a normal flesh wound so I could cut the barb off and pull it out the other way. Lol all good tho.

I was in my boat in the coorong and Alexsfishin came along in a yak. As he was leaving he decided to be funny and grab my line, well karma got him quickly as he capsized! Ended up losing 2 quality combos, his catch and a heap of other gear. As well as being freezing cold! 

Or it could be fishing port willunga and having a rogue wave come along, knock my stradic ci4+ and daiwa generation black combo out of the holder and wash it out to sea. Couple hours swimming to no avail. Packed up to leave, decided what the hell one more look! 50M down the beach, i couldnt believe my eyes... it washed up right in front of me!!!

You reminded me Fishingmad - same thing happened to me, also at Pt Willunga.

Tide was coming in and a couple waves getting close to my gear, so went to move a bag higher up and when I had turned around to get the rest of the gear a rogue wave had swept the rest away.

Luckily I still had rod in hand, but lost a white bucket with my catch, good knife, all my bait and berley plus my cutting board - couldn't save any of it - although the cutting board washed up about 20mts down.

Not an expensive loss but still annoying.

I lost a shimano rod and shimano baitrunner of the back of a paddle boat in the torrens lake about 6-7 years ago... me and a mate hired two paddle boats, so we could fish different areas chasing carp! Anyway paddling along and I hear a "ploomp" look back and my rods gone!!

Was an expensive day for a youngster ahaha.

This year alone my boat almost sank due to some scumbag taking my bungs out while i slept in my swag, Water was coming in over the transom when i got back to it from parking the car and i was a very lucky man.Had to bail 100's of litres before the car could pull the boat out then it too a good 25min to drain. After parking the car i proceeded to bog that in the sand.

Prior to that i had a sounder taken out by a Roo flying over the bonnett and conecting with my boat, Had my 899 humminbird cook and die, Cut the transducer cable off my 899 in a very early and dark start on the river. Foot pedal for electric fry and die, last on the agenda i was attacked by a dog ,, Great six months on the river

Risk = Reward? Not Always!

Many moons ago a mate and I decided to attempt a beach launch at Sellicks Beach. Seas were flat, tide was in, but there was a fair swell running. After watching the sets for a while we both agreed "she'll be right". Mate backed the Jeep down the crummy ramp and I pushed the tinny off the trailer. As soon as the boat was free of the trailer my mate started driving up the ramp and I attempted to turn the boat seaward. As I was doing this I was horrified to see a wave at least 3 times the size of the others we had been watching just meters from me and the boat which was now parallel to the approaching green wall of water. Being on the beach side of the tinny I had nowhere to go. I grabbed the gunnel as the wave took us both back to the beach at a great rate of knots. I now had become a passenger. I remember quickly looking towards the beach horrified to see that my mate had not fully left the ramp and now I was effectively the meat in the sandwich between the boat and the trailer. I literally had a split second to make a call. I let go of the boat and somehow got under the water just as the tinny went straight over me and crashed sideways into the boat trailer whilst I slammed underneath the trailer. God knows how I didn't hit my head but my torso bore the brunt of the impact and I lost my glasses in the process. I have never been so black and blue in my life.

You know when people say that their life flashes before their eyes? This was one of those moments. I could hardly speak let alone drive home for a few hours after that episode. All I could think about was how stupid that I could have made my wife a widow and left my newborn son without a father just to catch a bloody fish.

We have since worked out that launching at Aldinga is a far better option :)

Not a luvias  :o

Yup, my luvias! Of all my first reels I bought in Australia, the only 1 that stood the test of both time, beach sand and a lot of saltwater Dunks yfw fishing... Not to mention some serious abuse from the local carp population!! It just kept on going! Still smooth, quiet and never changed a single bearing, of took it in for a single service... Could still hear the drag, (unlike my T.D sol 2000 and 2500) both my sols are more audible when winding, than when a a fish is pulling line off the spool and we'd never the same after just 1 brief salt water bath.

The only part on the luvias I did have to take apart and do some work to restore good movement to was the bail roller bearing. Very easy to forget about, and can cause some grief in the way of seemingly unexplainable bustoffs with the (fairy lines as Tony B calls them ) xul gear. That magnetic Grease is really a naccesity for saltwater imo!!

Glad they have extended it through the whole new range !

• 1 month later...

About 30 years ago, I spent a week away at Coffin Bay with the blokes. I was about 15 from memory. On the way back one of the adults, who was driving at the time, decided to try to hit one of the road signs on the left of the road with an empty glass bottle (southwark stubby probably). I forget what sort of boat he had, half cabin, fibreglass, about 19ft, it was very new anyway. Lobs said bottle over the top of the roof whilst doing about 90km/h, bottle sails through the air and straight through the windscreen of the boat, shattering it to shit.

Thats Karma!

I can't remember where we were going but we had stayed at Pondalowie Bay for a long weekend diving and fishing. I remember it was a Sunday for reasons that will become evident. We were towing the boat east from Mation Bay to Pt Vincent (Hillocks Drive?) when one of the guys was absolutely busting for a crap. He was that desperate that we had to pull over immediately in an area with no cover. Just wheat stubble. He goes to do his business behind the left hand side trailer wheel for some privacy. Over a slight rise comes a car towards us and straight away you could see it was elderly two ladies of the blue rinse brigade, going to church we presumed. I forget who was driving (it doesn't matter we all would have donme it), car into gear and pull away leaving him on the side of the road with pants down, bog roll in one hand and shocked expression on face. I don't think we moved for 15 minutes after that we were laughing that hard.

This topic is a good read for all the wrong reasons, but it's funny. :lol:

First few times ever out in the Tinny I did all the classic mistakes of leaving the bung plug out, flooding the engine and chucking several 360s with the tiller steer in the first bit of swell I hit leaving North Haven marina. :o

Have certainly had my share of falls on the OH rocks. A long time ago on a walk back from the end I tripped and launched myself airborne down the rocks smashed my elbow and side. Fortunately the fall was partly broken by landing on a heavy duty rod, RIP my friend. Not so long ago I tripped backwards and ended up head first into a crevice with my legs poking out the top, was definitely a slow motion moment as I was falling waiting for the blow to the head to come. Fortunately my shoulder bore the brunt of that one and I only had a few scrapes and bruises after freeing myself from my rocky hole. I have had part of a rock wall give way on me and gone with it into the Port River, just bruised ego and wet legs this time. And lastly had a rock wobble at the waters edge and tried to jump to a near rock but lost my feet and slipped into the Port River, again, this time with a few barnacled rocks slowing the slide. This only got a little bit infected. :rolleyes:  :(

Rock fishing injury.jpg

Snapped my Penn prevail surf rod the other day :(

At least it was on a fish! probably good 3.5-4kg salmon. They have alot of fight especially in that last little wave!
Pulled a bit of drag and then SNAP!!!!  :angry: the top half

What made it worse was the schools of salmon coming through the gutter I was fishing!! and watching people left and right pulling in salmon after salmon with a couple of Donkeys!!!

so I spat it big time and snapped the bottom half over my leg! sat back and had a beer

Hopefully that's my bad luck gone for a while!

Lines tight!

• 2 weeks later...

Funniest and worst...

Garden island a few years ago, nothing decent biting all afternoon, Not me but a mate managed to bring up 2 big blue swimmers going at it mid session if you know what I mean.... Caught on a rod on a half pilchard certainly eased the boredom for a while

Also thought I'd snagged something once fishing in the port from an old ramp/dock type think near the jervois bridge I think it is? Anyway I suddenly managed to start to getting line back incredibly slowly, and 10 minutes of dragging in godknows what it slowly starts to appear... I've only gone and hooked onto a dirty old 2 seater couch.... Was the only thing I caught all day bigger than 20cm salmon trout!!

Did you ever notice a rusty old pole sticking out of the mud a couple of meters long on the eastern bank of the Onk a few meters south of the old railway bridge (now a path bridge) ever wondered where it went, well i'll tell you. Fly fishing around that area about 7 years back & i decided as it had been a bit slow that day & if i could get my fly close in on the deep side of the bridge pylon there might just be a bream there willing to eat the fly.

So having thigh waders on i stepped out into the water next to the the rusty old pole but found i needed to lean out just a bit further than i had waded to get the cast in & yes you guessed it it was one of those times your brain is saying don't do that but the desperation of of not having caught a fish for a few hours took over I put my hand out & put some weight on the pole & snap  in i go head first & I mean a full head first dive (lucky the water was nice & clear) it had been a mild day so on retrieving myself from the water it went from mild to bloody freezing, needless to say the walk back to the car after emptying the waders out was uncomfortable. Luckily I had a beach towel in car to dry off a bit & sit on for the short & wet drive home.

• 2 months later...

Was doing a shore dive from from one of the beaches on southern yorkes between marion bay and stenhouse. I remember we climbed down a fairly steep sandy hill near one of the headlands rather than walk miles along the beach. We were wearing all the gear and carrying masks and fins. As we were doing the final bits of preparation I saw my uncle stoop to pick something up. Because he had a huge shit eating grin I knew something was up. Looking closer he had a huge dog turd in his hand. So he walks up to one of the guys diving (Lindsay was his name) and puts the dog turd into his dive hood telling him "justing rechecking your air" or some such excuse.

As there were four of us we three patiently waited until the hood was pulled on and the theatrics to start. And did they ever. Lindsay starts patting his head, pushing the hood this way and that and because of the dive gloves can't really feel what the hell is in his hood. We start to lose it as you do. He pulls a glove off and sticks his bare hand under the hood and it comes out covered in shit. Lindsay freaks out and starts to chase my uncle. Both of them start a progressive scuba strip tease as they shed gear to keep ahead or chase better.

So we finish the dive and start the three hours back to Adelaide which was not so pleasant as Lindsay stunk despite all efforts to become dog shit free. We picked up a few crays as well. 

went for a fish on big red charters balgowan 2012 got to the snapp drop cast out my rig put in the rod holder and did not set the drag as i was hung over and not on it, turned my back and the rod was ripped out the holder  bait runner and sabre 350$ gone. 20 mins of casting later with no luk on retrieving this rig,was captured on old video camera by a good mate of mine ill try to upload this for a laugh if he still got the footage ,

sp