Tube worms or sand worms. Anyone still make the effort?

Many years ago (and that is a lot of years) I remember going to the beach (can't recall where) with some adults and digging up tube worms with a pitch fork - not a spade as that would slice them.

But does anyone still do this and would most beaches still have them?

Catching sands worms is quite a technique and needs a good lot of practice to catch those buggers, but digging for tube worms seems easier.

Is this time of year any good for getting either tubes or sands? And is there a limit to how many one can catch?

Obviously doing this at out going tide and calm weather is best - I presume.

And using them fresh is best and gather kept in a bucket with some sand and sea water should keep them for around 10 days (less or more?). Or freeze them as long as rehydrate them in salt water ok?

I have read some posts on here about the worms but are a few years old, so not sure what, if any, may have changed.

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think they do better if they're dead, preserved in metho, rather than freezing

- it toughens them up, but it's rather cruel to do if they're still alive

There's also seaweed worms, can be found down where the seaweed is composting

I've found some tubeworms to be too flimsy & fall apart when trying to get 'em on the hook 

I think they do better if they're dead, preserved in metho, rather than freezing

- it toughens them up, but it's rather cruel to do if they're still alive

There's also seaweed worms, can be found down where the seaweed is composting

I've found some tubeworms to be too flimsy & fall apart when trying to get 'em on the hook 

Cheers Magoo.

Metho ? are you joshing me :huh:

I would have thought that would leave an aroma or even a bit of a slick in the water that would not come near.  Like not to put say sunscreen on with fingers before baiting up.

If hardening, I thought maybe salt, like with cockles.

I did look for some seaweed worms but no luck seeing any, just white jumping looking bugs.

If you rehydrated the metho treated worms in some salt water it might take off some of the smell. I always took that as the usual way to preserve worms.

If your fishing the port metho could give the worms an "authentic" smell. Have heard of people dunking live prawns in kero as the big old bream associate the smell with food.

Wow, I've never heard of such proceedure, but if that is what is done I am not one to disagree - something learnt I suppose.

And I can understand and smile about the "authentic" smell for down the port way - sounds logically then :)

May try it if and when I get any (per Q's in OP).

I only get them for summer, for yellowfin whiting. And only because that's about the best and few baits there is for them.

Bloodworms, I wash well, seperate broken from whole, put in clean water from spot I dig, and take plenty water with me. Keep in fridge, water change every day... Last 1 week. (Still alive) not even half as good dead, worse still frozen. Sandworms... Wrap in newspaper, wet paper under tap, fridge for 3days will say alive... Tubies same. Other fish aren't nearly that fussy though... So ready depends what you're chasing

I only get them for summer, for yellowfin whiting. And only because that's about the best and few baits there is for them.

Bloodworms, I wash well, seperate broken from whole, put in clean water from spot I dig, and take plenty water with me. Keep in fridge, water change every day... Last 1 week. (Still alive) not even half as good dead, worse still frozen. Sandworms... Wrap in newspaper, wet paper under tap, fridge for 3days will say alive... Tubies same. Other fish aren't nearly that fussy though... So ready depends what you're chasing

Wrap in newspaper and wet under tap.....yes, I remember doing that now...oh the memories.

I suppose I'm not one to say I am going to target 'x' today, more I just want anything that will take a bait and thinking worms are a good wriggle choice on the hook.

Seeing I am land based I would think any of the worms would do ok, and I do recall collecting worms more in summer.

But can they be caught now? and where is generally good in the southern metro area?

Does anyone still use a pitch fork for tube worms or a different method etc ?

Seen some guys forking not long ago for the seaweed worms along Thompson's and Webb's beaches with the rotting seaweed line.

Ideal local bait for the sand whiting there but would be a good worm bait in general.

Thinking of getting a bait pump and floating sieve for that area as there are lots of holes and life on those sand flats, probably nippers and sand worms which would be top live bait for most of our beaches and inshore areas.

Lots of stuff online about preserving worms in metho...this is probably one of the better sources of information I've seen:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.250969621717185.1073741838.192348597579288&type=3

I have previously bought "metho" worms from a reputable Adelaide tackle shop and they seemed to be a decent fall-back option when fresh ones weren't available.

Cheers

af

P.S. Anyone want to throw references to WD40 into this thread? :)

Salt live tubies before freezing to preserve. I find salted tubies are tougher than live and stay on the hook longer.

Preserve bloodworms in metho when live so they tense up and stay firm after freezing.

If you put any worms in the freezer without preserving them, they turn to mushy snot when you go to use them.

Bream are not put off by metho one little bit, though a dab of S-Factor doesn't hurt.

I have seen old blokes on jetties spraying their hardbodies with WD-40, and they were catching good bream.

Apparently it has fish oil in the ingredients.