"Shelf life" of fishing line?

Evening Hookers

Just wondering if anyone out there knows if there is such a thing as "shelf life" for fishing line (both mono and braid)? I'm aware that continued exposure to the UV component of sunlight can lead to deterioration in line quality, but if spools of new line are stored in cool, dry and dark conditions, how long could they be expected to main optimum breaking strain and performance?

Any contributions to the discussion would be most welcome...

Cheers

af

From what I know mono has a definite shelf life even kept out of the elements. Of course the elements shortens its life quite a bit.

Braid can last ages provided it doesn't start wearing or fraying, even UV just makes it fade without damaging to much from what I know. Not sure if it really has a 'shelf life'.

Not too much experience with it though, my line tends to get used/replaced/upgraded before I've noticed any degradation from age. Just going by what charter guides I chat to say and what I read/watch online.

Coincidentally I just found a 1000m spool of 12lb maxima "ultragreen"  in the back of a cupboard that would be nearly 20 yrs old and it seems like new. It's in a little white cardboard box, haven't seen them in a while. I quickly tested it and it broke at 5.5- 6kg [at the knot].  Took a pic but gave up trying to attach it. I also have a big spool of maxima 50lb which would be about the same age and that seems fine too. Used to put it on the old Penn 6/0 HSS but ahven't used that since I sold my boat 15yr ago. Now I've been using  it on hand lines with squid jags. Have no easy way to test that. Cheers

Thanks for the feedback so far...

Chris_64

May I enquire how you load tested the line? (Forgive me if I seem like a newbie in this regard!)

Since my original post, I have had a further look on the interweb thingie at some other forums for some information on this topic - the guts of which appears to be as follows:

- Load test the line (as you have mentioned), although this at best proves the knot strength (unless one has access to some fairly fancy laboratory equipment)

- Be very reluctant to contact line manufacturers for advice, as their sole purpose in life is to sell more fishing line ;)

Cheers

af