Evening All

I note that a certain national chain of suppliers of boating, camping and fishing equipment are now stocking an Italian brand of lures called Molix (link to manufacturer's website here: http://www.molix.com ).

There's some interesting-looking stuff on there, but I was wondering if anyone on this site has had any previous experience with these lures or were aware of any overseas feed back?

Cheers

af

I bought one of the small poppers when they arrived at work about two months ago. They work quite well as a top water lure for salmon and I'd imagine yellowfin in summertime would have a go as well. I originally bought it for micro popping rat kingfish but will have to wait until summer for that. The smaller minnows looks great as well but I haven't bought one yet

Yes I noticed that as well Archer. Particularly liked the popper, looked around 60mm and a bit like a refined rooster popper. Good weight behind them for their size it seems.

Was very tempted to get it for the same reasons as Kuerschie but then looked at the hooks...

How do you find the hooks K? They didn't look like hooks that would come with a $17 lure.

Yes I noticed that as well Archer. Particularly liked the popper, looked around 60mm and a bit like a refined rooster popper. Good weight behind them for their size it seems.

Was very tempted to get it for the same reasons as Kuerschie but then looked at the hooks...

How do you find the hooks K? They didn't look like hooks that would come with a $17 lure.

I looked at it like it was a micro dumb bell popper in profile. I change the hooks on all my lures to Owners as that's all I run for trebles. Plus I don't want to hook a better than average fish and find them to break off. It says on the packet who supplies the hooks but I can't remember.

I'm interested the Molix Thasis Slow Jig. The extra tie point for shore casting and lighter weights could be good from rocky points into deeper water. And if I ever get out on a boat the vertical tie point can be used for vertical jigging but most of my work is going to be casting from the shore.

376860-thumb.jpg

We have had a few customers buying them ready for snapper season to fully kick off. A guy bought one a few saturdays back in the morning on his way to West Beach at around 9am; he came back in to the store at about 4pm and wanted to buy more as he'd done well on ruggers out from Glenelg on them. He even showed us the head and it had a heap of snapper bite marks on it. He bought the squid coloured one in 40g if I recall.

Wouldn't put singles on a micro-popper unless I was only targeting salmon. Even then I would probably stick to trebles. 

Fish are not that accurate on the poppers so your hook up rate is far better with trebles since they can grab them on the side of the head when they swipe at them. Yellow Fin in particular I don't think would even get most poppers in their mouth properly so better with trebles for them.

What your saying makes sense sbarnden except most of my yfw on surface lures are on the belly treble and in their mouth ;)

I have found similar too Keeno. That day us Southerners joined you up north, all my YFW had the first treble in the mouth and then back treble in its side or under the chin.

I have seen a few Bassday Sugapens rigged with micro-assist hooks, 5cm of 50lb braid and size 12 singles tied to it. They'd work fine for yfw. As for the Molix popper, given the profile, I'd only run trebles when targeting rats and salmon off the top.

Yeah mate I see what you are saying but YFW wouldn't be my target with that kind of popper. Kings, snook, uber redfin and Salmon would be about it.

The popper is only 65mm but its a fair chunk of a lure.

Got plenty of light poppers for the bream and YFW.

In saying that though it might be an idea to leave a treble on the back to catch smaller salmon and little rats and the like.

Not YFW but I've found similar to keeno with small reddies on surface walkers or redfin on bigger poppers, that they take the front treble.

I have not had much luck with Molix gear. An Italian company, mass producing stuff in China for the American Bass market. Hardware is sub standard. At that price I do not think I should have to change hooks to something than works on our fish. The volume of lures that the importers order should enable them to come with upgraded hooks and rings. I guess some outlets are more interested in ripping customers off than supplying quality tackle. Usually you only have to check out the range of gear and compare the prices to genuine tackle shops. Try it some time.

• 1 month later...

I cast my popper around the Old jetty last month and it was crystal clear but they weren't around to chase it. It splits a lot of water for such a medium range popper. Once fish start to show, I'd imagine they'd be interested given its 'snack' sized profile. That stick bait lure would be great for surf salmon down Yorkes or west coast. Probably an okay lure to cast at rats as well.

The Molix squid jags have been selling well recently so people must be doing well on the squid.

• 9 months later...

Digging up an old topic,

Anyone given the Molix Supernato a go?

supernato-baby-91-gray-mouse.jpg

Love the idea of it being weedless for the deepest snaggiest sections and being able to adjust the sink rate by adding/removing water into the body.

Also liking the look of the new Jugulo "FS" with the weight at the back. Looks to be great casting lure for salmon into strong winds, wonder if its going to make it here to BCF and how long it will take.

Jugulo-Fast-Sinking-1.jpg

Noticing a few in their global range that don't appear to have filtered through to our local distributor. The Audace range and Brigante for instance.

@sbarnden liking the FS Jugulo, the lures look like they have a very good finish to them.

As stated back a few posts, the lures' hardware might need upgrading, but then again, I change most of the "fitted with hardware" over to stronger split rings and hooks/trebles anyway.

Certainly would not want to lose the so called "fish of a lifetime" because of inferior "original" hardware.

Cheers GW