Southern Beaches & some entertainment as well !

The Plan: Start at 10am at Southport and hit most southern beaches through to Sellicks and return finishing aback at Southport.

Did it succeed: Nope.

OK, so decided to hit Southport at 10am leading to the low tide at 11.30am and to lure for Salmon all day.

Was not expecting to catch anything at Southport, as have not yet done so, plus the low tide was not going to help any.

The only thing happening or moving at Southport were the walkers along the beach.

(now I'm not talking walkers from "The Walking Dead" from the series for those who have watched it).

100_3884.JPG

100_3885.JPG

100_3889.JPG

So after about an hour luring it was off to Maslins and still only half expecting anything to take a lure at this stage of the day.

But, some excitement for me....a green floating ball.

100_3892.JPG

100_3891.JPG

But that was enough excitement for me, and as not takers for my lure it was off to Pt Willunga.

Arrived at the carpark and had a bite to eat whilst surveying the area - looked good.

Then.....something caught my eye......another bloody ball.  Thought for a moment it got here from Maslins before I did, but a different colour, but at least it smiled :D

100_3896.JPG

So back to luring at yet again something took my eye....

100_3897.JPG

Then it all appeared.....a shark?

100_3900.JPG

Nope....a friendly.

100_3901.JPG

100_3899.JPG

There was probably about a dozen dolphins swimming around about only 50m out and with some chasing something out there. 

So I replaced my Halco 40g lure to a Halco 55g lure for a little extra distance thinking they might be scaring some Salmon closer to shore.

Just purchased these Halco's so was hoping for results.

Third cast and twang, the Halco 55g travelled very well and sunk to the ocean floor :censored:

​

So here is a tip for all: Always make sure your reel latch is open before casting :facepalm:

The dolphins headed North - the way I was going anyway and then one dolphin leaped out of the water with wave - looked fantastic - I gave it a 10 :clap:

They were then gone.

Maybe they scared some Salmon in close as this was the result near the Northern end.

100_3909.JPG

So I was happy that, to get something was a relief, but then.........it happens again :o

Yep, another :censored:  ball.

100_3905.JPG

What is it with balls today I have no idea, but they are following me :angry:

The few Salmon were then also gone and was thinking now to go to Sellicks, but this was in the distance :rain:

​

100_3907.JPG

Now I was thinking I was not prepared for that much rain and seeing I had hooked a few at PW, why not stick to a good thing.

Got a little bored with no takers so I etched this into the sand.

100_3912.JPG

If you can't make it out, it says 'Strike Hook.com' :headbang:

So ended up staying at PW without going back to Maslins or Southport due to time (about 4pm now).

But a great day of weather and entertainment plus a bonus Salmon and ST.

That was a great report. It looks like you had a ball!

Love the writing in the sand :)

I was down at Southport yesterday, great day for it, a few salmon caught but not by me :( They are a little scarce in close. I had a look from where you took the comparison photos in the morning and could see a sand bar pretty far out. I'm wondering if the salmon are staying on the outer side of that sand bar most of the time rather than coming in. I've been down there a few times now at high tide and seem to be fishing on what i would have considered to be the edge of the main gutter I was fishing every other year. I was considering that there were not many fish around but perhaps it's just a change in the landscape down there.

I agree Bjorn that they must be, if they are around, hanging past the sand bar area.

I tried getting out deep of course but just couldn't get out far enough.

I also went North to the sandy area in the dunes and waded out on the sand bar there but still hard to get out far enough.

They are cunning little salmons !!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one doobie,I thought for a minute by the title, your southern entertainment may of been casting your lure accidentally into the nudist area and latching on too a couple of plump white pointers.

And  a couple of R rated pics of the whole event.

But alas..  instead you  got onto a couple of hard earned STs, tidy  work mate. B)

That sand bar at Southport is quite easily accessible at low tide but my efforts of testing the theory in this comment thread have so far been rather unfruitful :(

I did read in a post somewhere (and I think it was you) that mentioned the sand bar at low tide. As it was low tide at the time I was there I thouht I would give your theory a test.

My cast could make the darker water, but only just

Your theory will work one day - and then everyone will think you're a genius ☺

Nice one doobie,I thought for a minute by the title, your southern entertainment may of been casting your lure accidentally into the nudist area and latching on too a couple of plump white pointers.

And  a couple of R rated pics of the whole event.

But alas..  instead you  got onto a couple of hard earned STs, tidy  work mate. B)

I wish Carl ☺ but you may have seen in one of my other posts that I did come across an R rated 'episode ' at Maslins (no pictures though ). Can't work them out, it's bloody freezing on some days and there are usually a few still walking around in their birthday suits !!