Looking for an ulitmate lure throwing weapon -surf rod

Hiya Guys and Gals,

Just wondering if anyone has an great-good surf rods for sale?

I'm looking for a lure throwing weapon that I can match with a stradic fj 5000 to throw lures at salmon at my local beaches like locks well and talia.

I previously had a penn prevail 10ft 6' but the salmon got the better of it!

Anything 10-11ft probably not smaller and defiantly not longer!

I'll have to pay the freight as well so add that onto the cost as I live in the country :)

Lines tight 

Dyl

Not looking to sell mine, but the Daiwa Seajiggers are awesome rods. I have the 325M which throws 50-60g metal lures quite far. If you need to toss heavier lures then the 325H would be the other option.

Just remember that Daiwa seriously overrates the weight their surf rods can comfortably throw. My Seajigger is rated to 100g but there's no way I'd try that much with it. As I stated the 325M is most comfortable around 50-60g, and I would guess that the 325H would work well for 80-100g.

I have two of the older model Sea-jiggers the light & the medium , haven't used the heavy.(bought cheap as discontinued stock)

Agree with Plankton on Daiwa overating their cast weighs.

I generally throw 28gm. with the L (3000 reel) & 40gm. with the M. (4000 Reel)

I reckon the Sensor Surf balances the best with the 5000 {60-85gm.). It can also be used for lighter baits & sinkers, bit stiffer than the Sea-jiggers & a fair bit cheaper,

But the heavy Sea-jigger would probably suit too, depends how much you want to pay.

I use my Sea-jiggers for Metro. & Fleurieu  beaches & the  Sensor Surf for the bigger West Coast fish.

Not much help sorry.

Just my experiences.

talking myself into to sensor surf.

Just wondering though...

is there an older model and a newer model?

Been looking around at different sites and best price i found is $179 but most of the other sites are $279? go figure?
Just wondering if they are two different rods??

SS1002MFS - Length 10ft - 2 Piece - Line Class 12 to 20lb - Cast Weight 3/4 to 3oz = $179

DAIWA SENSOR SURF IZM 102S SPIN ROD = $279

​any help much appreciated! 

There are new model Sensor Surfs out.

I have the older one (the $179) I think the new ones come with the K Guides.

I reckon R&A's must still have the old ones, that's where I got my run out Sea-Jigger's.

Daiwa make great rods,i have quite a few.

I reckon you'd be happy with either Sensor's or the heavy Sea-Jigger.

Personally I'd go for the older Sensor for that price.

There's also a couple of recent threads on a national bream forum on expensive (proper expensive) salmon lure casting outfits.

The Sensor Surf rods have been through three slightly different incarnations. The first generation had orange coloured guide wraps, the second gen added some blue to the guide wraps and the latest version is called IZM.

Every generation has had some slight differences in the model of rods. That 10' model has been relatively unchanged throughout. The $179 rod from R&A's is a second gen model and a good price IMO, but it may not handle the upper end of the lure range you mentioned.

Fishing shop where i got my rod from said they'll replace my penn prevail for half price?!

What happened to the first one? If it broke just in the general course of fishing do you want another, even at half price?

When I was shopping around for a new salmon rod I had a feel of that Prevail 10'6" and thought it was way too light for casting heavier lures at bigger salmon. That's why I ended up spending more than I had originally planned and got the Seajigger.

You're correct about not having to spend much to get a decent salmon rod, but if you want an "ultimate lure throwing weapon" then $200-250 isn't overly expensive IMO.

If you don't want to spend quite so much then check out a Silstar Crystal Power Tip or Ugly Stik, they both offer 10' rods that might suit your needs and they're great, tough rods. I've heard good things about the newer Pflueger Crank rods as well, but have no personal experience with them.

Good luck mate :)

Great advice plankton!

Hooked a half decent sambo probably around 4kg and in that last little wave was pulling a bit of drag and the top half went snap in 2 places- around the 2 eyelet up from the bottom section..So really not too sure if I want the same rod again even at half price?! but it was GREAT while it lasted could cast lures up to 60gm (heaviest) all day 

But I've caught heaps of salmon on it biggest was around 5.5kg and that was no problem coming in!

True that I do want one of the best lure throwing weapons! might just have to pick up a bit more work as a chef to allow to get something a bit more decent!

So now resorting back to my "back-up" which is a silstar crystal tip! had this rod for about 10yrs and I've killed some good fish on it!

But I'm heading to locks well tomorrow to find these schools of salmon that have been cruising through.

but might need to via past my local fishing shop (150kms) to pick out a new weapon.

Thanks heaps for all the advice fellas!!

Lines tight!