Why does my KG whiting taste funny ?

All year I have been catching kg's out of Port Hughes. Been a good year, and most of the ones I catch have only been around the 32 - 38 cm mark.

My usual method of cooking is to lightly crumb and then pan fry in a little butter. Just delicious that way with a squeeze of lemon.

Went out yesterday and tried a spot near the cape in some deeper water and got 8 thumpers around 48cm each. 

Cooked them for lunch today in the usual method and the whole family did not devour them as usual, saying " they taste funny dad ?"

They did too! Very fishy flavour, not the same sweet flavour as the smaller ones. I have heard before that smaller fish taste better, but have never experienced it myself. Is this the case ? taste stronger because they are bigger, or do they start to taste funny at a certain time of the year or what ??

I always prefer the smaller kg they are a lot sweeter imo so the crew gets the biggies.The big breeders do take on a stronger iodine taste when they get ready for spawning and this is to do with their diet, i think  there must be something in the cork weed that they need to kick their cycle into gear.My family won't even eat them when they are like that.

cheers b

I think from now on I will be doing as Brenton does, and that's give away the larger ones or cook in a diff way. The smaller ones are way sweeter and the family devours them, the larger ones I think will need some sort of sauce to diffuse the strong taste that we are unaccustomed to. All these years catching smaller ones thinking I am missing out and now I realise I was eating the best.... go figure ?

• 4 weeks later...